Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My Great-Grandfather: Sgt Norris H. Crossley, West Riding Regt.

Article about: hi everyone i need some help im trying to replicate my great grandfathers uniform he was a serving sergeant with the west riding regiment the question is what things will i have to find and

Default re: My Great-Grandfather: Sgt Norris H. Crossley, West Riding Regt.

good lord you guys are amazing thanks for all the information ill try and find a resercher any clues

thanks for all the amazing help

tom

I got some pictures as requested, to give an idea what you're looking for:

Shoulder title is this one:

I don't have an actual example of it, but i have this one on a tunic in my collection for the 4th Bn, just with a '4' instead of a '7':

Note that no collar badges would have been worn on the Service Dress. Finally, the patch on the shoulder strap would be something like this:

As I said I doubt they would have worn the patch and title in action, the whole idea of 'battle insignia' was to have identification without giving info to the enemy, although I'm sure that out of the line the title would have been superimposed on the patch.

Rob

thank you rob for the information i will look for a patch and title so that i can see which one looks better on the tunic when i get it

thanks
    tom

Unbelievable! How incredible is this forum ?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

nick i totally agree with you on that one this is some amazing information that i would never have known without you guys
    a huge thanks for all your awesomenous

tom

My Great-Grandfather: Sgt Norris H. Crossley, West Riding Regt.could he have worn these badges the two redbacked ones are collar badges and if so would these have been on hsi combat uniform or the second one here:

thank you

tom
    Attached Images Attached Images My Great-Grandfather: Sgt Norris H. Crossley, West Riding Regt. 

The cap badge is the right type, although a WWI version would be in brass and white metal as opposed to anodised aluminium. No collar badges were worn by Other Ranks on service dress uniforms. The shoulder title is the post-1915 version for the regular battalions of the regiment. Prior to this, the regular's title was W.RIDING. The territorial battalions kept their large T/?/W.RIDING titles, although it is possible the regular version may have been worn.

Rob

My Great-Grandfather: Sgt Norris H. Crossley, West Riding Regt.rob would this be the regulars version

thanks

tom

Yes, those ones are the pre-1915 regular army version. If you were lucky enough to find a pair, it is possible that a separate T over 7 could have been worn with these. Many of the larger territorial titles were made in two pieces.

Rob

thank you rob most helpful hopefully ill find a get a few more things soon so that eventually ill get the whol uniform

tom

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast