MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

My latest Brodie helmet

Article about: During my very brief visit to the Liverpool arms fair yesterday (Sunday) I picked up this very nice Brodie helmet with unit marking. The helmet is named to E S Rhudy, but upon examining the

Default My latest Brodie helmet

During my very brief visit to the Liverpool arms fair yesterday (Sunday) I picked up this very nice Brodie helmet with unit marking. The helmet is named to E S Rhudy, but upon examining the liner I found another name to Pte Jaspen Buckland 283. I checked both names on the medal index, but drew a blank. The top of the helmet has a fairly large dent, but much of the original paint finish is in excellent shape. Although some may say it is the wrong thing to do, I removed the disc of white asbestos attached to the crown. The anchor points to the chinstrap needed repairing, and there is some damage and rot to the liner. The shell is stamped HS 468. I cannot make my mind up about the HO badge to the side... Is it HO or HQ? I really cannot be sure. It was suggested that the colours to the badge suggested an Australian unit. has anyone any ideas on that?

My latest Brodie helmetMy latest Brodie helmetMy latest Brodie helmetMy latest Brodie helmetMy latest Brodie helmet

Top buy Steve,a very nice Helmet Steel mk1 with 1917 pattern liner,proper vintage Brodie,nice one indeed...........

Rhudy appears to be an immigrant American name so possibly an early AEF issue British made helmet.

just a thought.

Mark

The pad is not likely to be asbestos BTW - despite recent UK H & S alarmism. The patch does not strike mes British or Commonwealth either, I think Americans is a good bet. However, a very nice helmet.

Quote by asterperious View Post
    The pad is not likely to be asbestos BTW - despite recent UK H & S alarmism. The patch does not strike mes British or Commonwealth either, I think Americans is a good bet. However, a very nice helmet.
    I'm quite sure that the pad is indeed asbestos. As soon as I spotted it I immediately thought that, because of its obvious similarity to the asbestos packing string used on the Vickers gun.

Not necessarily. The WD manufacturing specifications were for felt and compacted wool - I have the WD proof requirements and materials standards. PM me and I can e-mail them to you. Without specifically testing - and that can include a trained inspector with a magnifying apparatus of any suspect material there is no way to be certain. There is no reason that asbestos would have been used in the liners. I know the UK H&S mavens tested some items at the IWM and 'found' asbestos, but the controls used were not published. It is easy to get cross contamination from other sources that aren't necessarily in the manufacture of the item tested. Asbestos was widely used as binding agent in all manner of products in the 19 & 20th centuries - pipe insulation, brake pads, linoleum, floor tiles, cementacious boards etc.

And, in fact the best recommendation for asbestos is that you should not disturb it at all unless absolutely required and encapsulation is not possible (unless it is a school or hospital where at least in the USA removal is required) - mind that the individual risks of mesothelioma from exposure are very small it is a long term chronic condition that typically takes 30+ years to manifest versus and acute fast acting syndrome. Although - one fibre is enough to start it off, so you can be unlucky, but more often than not it is people industries heavily exposed to the manufacture or installation of asbestos products that are at most risk.

a beauty steve
    Regards James