Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

my latest find ww1 era british tunic

Article about: just bought this tunic from the local army & navy store near me. they mainly have modern kit but every now and then you get a real bargain. this was hanging up in the corner and advertis

Default my latest find ww1 era british tunic

just bought this tunic from the local army & navy store near me.
    they mainly have modern kit but every now and then you get a real bargain.

this was hanging up in the corner and advertised as a 1949 battle dress for the princely some of £29.99 , i didnt have the cheek to try and knock him down.

it is very small and has been tailored in to fit a very small chap much smaller than the lable says but was done a long time ago.

i belive this tunic has been reissued you can just make out "sept 39" in blue ink on the bottom of the lable and the buttons are Royal Warickshire Regt, the RA insignia looks to have been on the tunic for a long time so it may have been rushed into service at the begining of the war.
    also it has had at one point a set of sergent stripes on the arms its hard to see on the photos but it is discoloured and you can see the outlines
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture my latest find ww1 era british tunic   my latest find ww1 era british tunic  

my latest find ww1 era british tunic   my latest find ww1 era british tunic  

my latest find ww1 era british tunic   my latest find ww1 era british tunic  

Default Re: my latest find ww1 era british tunic

this is the lable its hard to see but you can just make out the ink stamp on the bottom SEPT 39
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture my latest find ww1 era british tunic  

?

Hi mate,

Probably wrong as usual but isnt this a "1922 Pattern" Tunic? which was made right through until the 1960's? if it is then the 1939 date would be when it was first issued?

Either way you did very very well to pay 30 quid!
    Call in the experts!

Donnie

not sure ww1 is not my thing to be honest but i cannot go wrong for the price. the lable says "service dress or except scottish regts"
    but the date of manafacture is imposible to read

Hi Lee, that was a very good price I think

I think you will find this is a 1922 pattern tunic. The ink stamp will be the issue date.

They were made in limited numbers during WW2. I have one with plastic buttons in my collection made in 1943.

Cheers, Ade.

thanks for the info guys can you tell me what is the difference between the ww1 tunics and the 1922 pattern im not that clued up on the early kit it would be nice to know what to look out for. thanks again

Hi Lee, see this site:

British Other Ranks five-button Service Dress Jacket

Cheers, Ade.

thanks for the link going by that site it is deff post 1918 so the ink stamp must be the date of manurfacture still happy with the price i paid

Hi,
    Nice buy, i think you done well there anyway at that price, i have a pic of my dad in 1939 in that issue uniform. They started the war in old kit and i think the short B,D came out in 1940.
    dave.

i have a pic of my granddad taken about 1939/40 he was in the royal signals (ta) and all his kit looks to be ww1 era. same tunic, putties up to his knees, service dress cap and a leather bandolier.
    all the new kit going straight to front line troops