Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

My two WW1 helmets

Article about: These two helmets pretty much make up my First World War collection. I got them both for great prices at the time, the first helmet M1917 (I believe) is in reasonable condition the linear wa

Default My two WW1 helmets

These two helmets pretty much make up my First World War collection. I got them both for great prices at the time, the first helmet M1917 (I believe) is in reasonable condition the linear was a bit dusty and I just cleaned it up (don’t ask what was in there you probably don’t want to know). The chinstrap is still soft but the linear is a little crusty but still movable. Nice textured paint is still mostly there but the common theme of white paint splatter is there. The helmet was found at a local antique mall and was being sold at $80 but I talked them down to $60. Overall one of my better helmets.

My two WW1 helmetsMy two WW1 helmetsMy two WW1 helmetsMy two WW1 helmetsMy two WW1 helmetsMy two WW1 helmetsMy two WW1 helmetsMy two WW1 helmetsMy two WW1 helmetsMy two WW1 helmetsMy two WW1 helmets
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My two WW1 helmets  

This is the oddball helmet that I’m not too sure why I bought but my excuse is that I was about 7 years old. I’m not sure as to what model this helmet is as it’s different than the other in most ways other than the shape. It was painted completely red at one point which made it very hard to read the markings on the shell. Then someone painted a green blob on the top, both layers of paint are old and have some wear to them but I don’t know why they’re there. I bought this one on Holiday in Cape Cod and payed $8 for it. I got some very weird looks from TSA.

My two WW1 helmetsMy two WW1 helmetsMy two WW1 helmetsMy two WW1 helmetsMy two WW1 helmetsMy two WW1 helmetsMy two WW1 helmetsMy two WW1 helmets

nice lids, the 2nd is british made and as you stated, the first is US made
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

The R. H. Long helmet is really nice and the July 1918 date is as good as you could ask for. I don't think you'll find a better AEF helmet. Yes painted ones abound, but there is doubt whether they ever saw the front line or were done after the Armistice. If I wanted an AEF helmet, that's the one I'd go for. A quality find!

A July 1918 dated liner in a helmet with a 225 lot number is pretty unusual. I'd expect October or November.

Wish I could help explain it more, I don’t know much about World War 1 items and the little I do know is more to the English side of things. Thanks for all the comments it’s appreciated!

Cheers,
    Bodhi

Very nice helmets Bhodi. Would love to know more about the Jaffa coloured one.
    Andy

MAP
    ?

First one is a keeper. Nice pick up!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)