Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help with The Allies 1914 medal/award???

Article about: Hello - I need some help with a medal/award that was with my grandfather's belongings. He was not in WWI and he never spoke about it or where it came from. It is a cross with The Allies 1914

?

Default Need help with The Allies 1914 medal/award???

Hello - I need some help with a medal/award that was with my grandfather's belongings. He was not in WWI and he never spoke about it or where it came from. It is a cross with The Allies 1914 and four faces on the front with a what appears to be a large blue X with a shield in front of it which contains a lion (perhaps) and the letters C C. Was this actually someone's mdal or sort of commemorative piece or something used to show support? If anyone has any information on this I would appreciate it - it is a bit of a curiousity to me and I have found nothing online to shed any light on this mystery. Thanks in advance.

Need help with The Allies 1914 medal/award???Need help with The Allies 1914 medal/award???

Default Re: Need help with The Allies 1914 medal/award???

Very much a commemorative piece, not an official medal. I would imagine that the faces represent leaders fo the Allies in 1914. I would associate the lion with an orange background normally with The Netherlands but in this instance I cannot be certain.

Indeed, not sure what it is exactly beyond a commemorative, but is not an official medal.

?

I would even suggest this is a horse brass

The reverse design surely cannot be Dutch as they were neutrals in WWI, though maybe Belgian? Commemorative or patriotic item would be my guess, but only a guess.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks for the input everyone!

I would think the coloured badge at the rear of the cross has been attached at a later date-it doesn't match the front of the cross and there would be no reason to have such a thing mounted there.

Just looking at this again as it has had a new reply and does it not say The Allies 1814 and therefore commemorates the Great War Against France, not the start of WWI. 1814 was when Boney was defeated for the first time and the Dutch were one of the allies for that war. Medals etc for that period were often privately commissioned by the commanders of the regiments and might not be of very good quality I think.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

The photo isn't that great - it actually does say 1914.

DCMatt
    ?

This item is a watch fob. Not a medal. Shows the faces of the allied leaders in WWI. Probably Czar Nicholas, King George, Pres. Poincare, and Albert of Belgium.

DCMatt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast