Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help wit this Sword

Article about: [QUOTE=DrPMC;1064466][QUOTE=Historian76;1064251]This sword has been in my family for decades. My parents believe it was my Grandfather's, who did serve in the U.S. military in WW1. I wondere

Default Need Help wit this Sword

This sword has been in my family for decades. My parents believe it was my Grandfather's, who did serve in the U.S. military in WW1. I would like to believe that but with all of my research and outside of the date, I have never been able to tie this sword to any particular conflict or period. The sword is 28 3/4 inches (98.4cm) long in the sheath. Does anyone have any idea about this sword?

Need Help wit this SwordNeed Help wit this SwordNeed Help wit this SwordNeed Help wit this SwordNeed Help wit this SwordNeed Help wit this SwordNeed Help wit this SwordNeed Help wit this SwordNeed Help wit this SwordNeed Help wit this SwordNeed Help wit this SwordNeed Help wit this SwordNeed Help wit this SwordNeed Help wit this SwordNeed Help wit this Sword

Russian sword Shashka - From period of Tzar Nicolay II (1894-1917).

They can fetch a good dollar

Thanks Australia. This has been a puzzle to me for nearly 30 years. I was always searching U.S. Swords / edged weapons. And they do seem to grab a dollar. Maybe I can trade it for a helmet.

A model 1881 Dragoon version I think. There are a lot of fakes around but I will stick my neck out and say this one one looks good to me.

Australia is right - "They can fetch a good dollar"

?

As above - a Shashka.

Ive seen this faked in markets in Eastern Europe and there are fakes versions of these sold in heaps on that internet auction place.

For some reason, there are many many fakes of this around.

I like it.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I knew I had a relevant photo somewhere - shows the Dragoon and Cossack patterns.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help wit this Sword  

Dragoon's had a guard on the grips and the Cossack's did not?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Dragoon's had a guard on the grips and the Cossack's did not?
    Yes that is correct I believe.

?

[QUOTE=Historian76;1064251]This sword has been in my family for decades. My parents believe it was my Grandfather's, who did serve in the U.S. military in WW1.[QUOTE]

I wondered if there was any chance that your Grandfather was among the US forces involved in the allied intervention in the Russian Civil War?

Philip

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast