Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Need some help with a WW1 pair of medals

Article about: A bit of a weird one. I'm stumped and asking for some help. ...... If you can. I just bought a pair to J.W. Jackson 4794 west yorkshire regt. Ok easy I hear you say. Well there is no M.I.C.

Cool Need some help with a WW1 pair of medals

A bit of a weird one. I'm stumped and asking for some help. ...... If you can.

I just bought a pair to J.W. Jackson 4794 west yorkshire regt. Ok easy I hear you say. Well there is no M.I.C. For that soldier. ...... anywhere. The closest I came will wilkinson with the same regt number. West Yorkshire regt ? Confused? I am.

Can anyone shed some light on this. It's driving me nuts
    thanks in advance

Maybe the medals have been brought by Wilkinson as a replacement and restamped with his name and he didnt change the number on the medals? you do find sometimes restamped ww1 medals as these were very cheap 10 years or so ago , Just a thought

Any chance of taking some photos of the medals (including close up of inscription on rim)? Cheers, Tom

Thanks guys. I'll take some photos and post them later.

Hello John,

This is not my area of interest, but research is, on the National Archives Web site there is a WW1 Medal Card for John W. Jackson, Rank: Corporal, Regimental Number: 2951, Regiment: West Yorkshire Regiment , Later Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry Number: 235790.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Thanks for the replies. I do have access to Ancestry which lists the MIC's of the thousands of soldiers that fought in the Great War. This is a strange one, as replacement medals are usually marked with an "R" these are not. And they have not been re-struck, or fiddled with, and the patina is the same throughout. I have found this on the National Archives

War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War. Medal card of Wilkinson, Willie. Corps Regiment No Rank West Yorkshire Regiment 4794 Private. West Yorkshire Regiment 241771 Private.

Same Regt. Same number but not the same name??

Here are a couple of photos of the BWM the victory is exactly the same.

It's a mystery to me, and I have researched quite a few in the past, and never come across this
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need some help with a WW1 pair of medals   Need some help with a WW1 pair of medals  

Need some help with a WW1 pair of medals   Need some help with a WW1 pair of medals  

?

Wonder if the records have just gone missing over the years John ?

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Wonder if the records have just gone missing over the years John ?
    like your way of thinking but I've never heard of that before? It's frustrating to say the least

possible he went under a false name.