Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

New Zealand Pioneer battalion cap badge

Article about: Hello and I hope you don't mind me posting this badge here. I have never seen any restrikes or copies of this badge, but thought I should get some opinion, but I think it is a good original

Default Re: New Zealand Pioneer battalion cap badge

Here try this,this guy seems to know what he is on about...Wings Over New Zealand - RNZAF WWII Collection

kohlem
    ?

New Zealand Pioneer battalion cap badge

Hey Jerry
    Just saw your post and out of interest this is a picture of my great grandfather who was one of the pakeha (european) members of the NZ Pioneers - taken May 1917. Note how the necklaces have been cut out of the badges - I have seen a number of other photos of different members of NZ Pioneers with same cut-outs. From what I have been able to make out it was in respect of the fact that Maori Warriors traditionally never went to war wearing things like necklaces. Cheers Mike

Hi Mike,

A great picture and interesting to see the cut off necklaces from collar and cap badge. Thanks for showing this and it is something I read about them doing when I was researching the badge. As an aside, I did see an original for sale on Ebay a few months back, but did not bid on it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I got a real one to replace the fake I had. Sellers pics for now.

Two makers made these, JRGaunt made them until 1917 and then Firmin made the rest.

Both types are slightly different, but both were only made with lug fittings, no sliders and the area inside the necklace should be voided and not solid as on the fake.

The Gaunt versions have the little makers tablet whilst those for Firmin were unmarked as far as I am aware.

getting this has filled a hole in my collectors soul as the fake really bugged me and I am very pleased to replace it with an original.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Zealand Pioneer battalion cap badge  
    Regards,

Jerry

Sorry Jerry, jumped the gun on liking the post before I read of this badge being a copy. That's a real shame but not too bad for 6 pounds.. Well worth the risk I say.

Cheers mate,
    Josh

Quote by Aus der Traum View Post
    Sorry Jerry, jumped the gun on liking the post before I read of this badge being a copy. That's a real shame but not too bad for 6 pounds.. Well worth the risk I say.

Cheers mate,
    Josh
    Josh, if you read it again you will see the first one was a fake and I have now got a real one to replace it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Strange how these things happen, but today I got home from a friends wedding and noticed on another forum a single matching Gaunt made collar for the Maori pioneers bn for sale, how cool is that. Obviously I bought it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Zealand Pioneer battalion cap badge  
    Regards,

Jerry

Well done Jerry. A great outcome mate.
    I must admit I do like Kiwi insignia.

All the best cobber

Dave

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Well done Jerry. A great outcome mate.
    I must admit I do like Kiwi insignia.

All the best cobber

Dave
    Thanks Dave.

I'll add some better pics when they arrive. I just need to find the other matching collar one day.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Anon View Post
    Thanks Dave.

I'll add some better pics when they arrive. I just need to find the other matching collar one day.
    All good things come to those who are patient mate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast