Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Nov 11th 1918 End of Hostilities Original Message CEF

Article about: This is a rare item in my collection, at this time it is on loan to my Local Military Museum for the 100th, it took me months to work out a deal on this item as I wanted to make sure it was

?

Default Nov 11th 1918 End of Hostilities Original Message CEF

This is a rare item in my collection, at this time it is on loan to my Local Military Museum for the 100th, it took me months to work out a deal on this item as I wanted to make sure it was correct, there is still one or 2 things I a not sure about, however after much research I do believe it is real, perhaps it was copied that day in the sae sigs message book for others to have a copy, it also has writing on the back in the same green ink

Nov 11th 1918 End of Hostilities Original Message CEFNov 11th 1918 End of Hostilities Original Message CEFNov 11th 1918 End of Hostilities Original Message CEF

A nice item... a typical message received on that day - either by CW or voice. The words used closely follow other examples in existence. I am currently working on some research for a woman who's grandfather was in the 2nd Salford Pals. Their war diary for November 11th simply says...

News received in hands that armistice active at 11. a.m. News greeted with cheers.

Somehow, after all these men went through, it seems a bit of an understatement.