Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

One of a Kind Canadian Boer War and WW1 Medal Group

Article about: Here is a VERY RARE one of a Kind Medal group I bought this past weekend, Never Had a Boer Medal with this rank or to this Unit, and Have never seen a WW1 Pair to this Rank. Check it out Dea

Interesting bit of information regarding his time during the Second World War!

The Lethbridge Herald, 7th March 1941 reported:
    “Ottawa, March 7 – Names of 66 persons claiming Canadian nationality – including Major General Guy Carleton Jones CMG – who are reported held as civilians in enemy or enemy occupied territory, were revealed Thursday by the department of external affairs.
    Gen Jones, director general of the Canadian Medical Services from 1906 to 1917, was born in Halifax in 1864. He was awarded the CMG for war servies and retired in 1920. His father, Hon A G Jones, was lieutenant governor of NS, from 1900 to 1906.
    In 1928 Gen Jones married Contessina Ginerva Mannini of Florence, Italy. He is one of three p[persons reported as held as internees in Italy.
    Cheers, Tom

?

Quote by thorne83 View Post
    Interesting bit of information regarding his time during the Second World War!

The Lethbridge Herald, 7th March 1941 reported:
    “Ottawa, March 7 – Names of 66 persons claiming Canadian nationality – including Major General Guy Carleton Jones CMG – who are reported held as civilians in enemy or enemy occupied territory, were revealed Thursday by the department of external affairs.
    Gen Jones, director general of the Canadian Medical Services from 1906 to 1917, was born in Halifax in 1864. He was awarded the CMG for war servies and retired in 1920. His father, Hon A G Jones, was lieutenant governor of NS, from 1900 to 1906.
    In 1928 Gen Jones married Contessina Ginerva Mannini of Florence, Italy. He is one of three p[persons reported as held as internees in Italy.
    Cheers, Tom
    Nice research buddy.

?

Impressive.
    Have done some recent research on the Boer War recently.
    That was one mean, nasty conflict.
    Well worth the study.

?

THANK YOU!!!!
    I bought these knowing that this was a very Good Group, but as I am working on a Feature film right now, I am off to work at 5am and as a rule do not get home until 730pm or later..then hit the sack shortly after, so I have not had the time to do any research yet.
    Great info and Thank you..., only had them since Sat...so I will get aroud to looking into them.

Funny, I told a couple of "friend" Collectors I had them, got offered $750 from one...same "friend" that offered me a beat up WW1 German gasmask for $550...with friends like that, who needs enemies!!!
    I am going to hold on to these for now...until I find out more..then I will decide if I keep them or let them go for something I really want for my collection, something far more common, but something I have wanted for sometime to complete my WW1 87th Battn Tunic.
    I really like this group, however, like all my Medals, they sit in a drawer, and they deserve better than that.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Hi Dean,

just thought I'd attach these few docs that may be of interest. There's plenty to be found for him..

Cheers, TomOne of a Kind Canadian Boer War and WW1 Medal GroupOne of a Kind Canadian Boer War and WW1 Medal GroupOne of a Kind Canadian Boer War and WW1 Medal GroupOne of a Kind Canadian Boer War and WW1 Medal Group

?

Quote by CampX View Post
    I really like this group, however, like all my Medals, they sit in a drawer, and they deserve better than that.
    Hi Dean,
    I know this is an old post but I just came across it (thanks Google!) while researching GC Jones. Do you still have this medal set? Are you still considering the set find a better home? If so, the RCMS would be interested in acquiring it and putting it on display. MGen Jones was an important early head of my branch. He was one of the early architects of the CAMC, our longest-serving DGMS/Surgeon General, and also our longest serving Honorary Colonel. So you can see why his medals would find a very welcome home with the RCMS. One way or the other, I look forward to hearing from you!
    Greg Haley MD
    Cdr
    RCN Surgeon
    CFHS Gp HQ

?

Hello, I am sorry to say that I traded those sometime ago, and they have since moved to someone else after that trade, so I have no idea where they are now.

Dean O
    Canada

?

Thanks for the update, Dean. Of course, if this set ever comes available again, the RCMS would be glad for the chance to acquire them.
    GH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2