Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

opinions please on this m17 doughboy camo helmet!!!!!

Article about: Hi guys can I have some feedback on whether the paintwork looks good or not,and maybe a guide price too if possible,many thanks in advance............

Your American made Helmet looks like it has a really nice liner remaining. The Camo job is a tough call--To me it looks good (but I'd have to hold in person to be 100% sure). If original it has about a 99.9999999% chance that it was done post war (immediately) in a typical pattern. The dent looks like it was made after the Helmet was camo'd--So when did the dent occur and what made it?

Also--At the Factory American Helmets had a layer of saw dust applied, not sand. If sand is present it was added when the helmet was repainted.

British Helmets at first were finished smooth--

The Helmet below is a War Office Pattern ("D") Helmet in its original finish.

In the spring of 1916 it was decided that the finish was too reflective so sand was added to the Mixture.

This is a MKI helmet made sometime before April/June 1917.

It still has the factory applied light coating of sand.

These Helmets were reconditioned all the time at Depot and usually Depot repainted Helmets have a heavy sand texture.

Hope this helps
    Joe Sweeney
    Last edited by Joe Sweeney; 02-17-2014 at 04:35 AM.

Thanks Joe and Dwight,its already agreed the paint was done postwar for parade and sometime after that someone took a pop at it,but on the plus side this cost roughly half of what a dealer would have charged me so im not so bothered about the little imperfections it has,cheers for your time,and please check out my other thread thats in the post........

Pictures now added,all comments welcome........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture opinions please on this m17 doughboy camo helmet!!!!!   opinions please on this m17 doughboy camo helmet!!!!!  

opinions please on this m17 doughboy camo helmet!!!!!   opinions please on this m17 doughboy camo helmet!!!!!  

opinions please on this m17 doughboy camo helmet!!!!!   opinions please on this m17 doughboy camo helmet!!!!!  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2