Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Pillbox Cap

Article about: Saw this on eBay for around 120 bucks CAD (That includes shipping). Not sure if it's a good price or what era it is even from. Any information or help would be much appreciated, such as whic

Default Pillbox Cap

Saw this on eBay for around 120 bucks CAD (That includes shipping). Not sure if it's a good price or what era it is even from. Any information or help would be much appreciated, such as which regiment or branch might've wore it, it's age, and anything else you might be able to figure out. I'd like to start collecting pre WWI U.S. items and I think this would be a nice start. Here are the provided pictures

Not the nicest photographs.. Any information on it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

CBH
    ?

The Brass button might all you something, but it's not pictured.

Yes, photos not the best and the button might be revealing. Pillbox hats were introduced by the British Army in the 1860's and the fashion then spread, with the Imperial Regiments and later volunteer units, in use to about 1900 I think. I understand they even caught on in America, where officers would order their own Pillbox even though not officially approved. Identifying the "S F" is probably the key.

also wore by bellhops, civilian marching bands, porters......
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Looks federal to me.. The seller claims that it might be related to the Old Guard Fencibles that was raised in Philadelphia, and then continued as a unit in the National Guard. I personally think it might be Indian Wars-Spanish American War era, but you kind folks are the experts here. All the input so far is greatly appreciated!

US button, so could the "S F" be San Francisco and this be for a California Militia?

CBH
    ?

Could it be US Navy? There was a USS San Francisco from the time period, a Protected Cruiser 1890 converted to a Minelayer in 1908 and decommissioned in 1921.