MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pip,Squeak & Wilfred and other charity shop finds.

Article about: Hi folks, thought i would share with you a stroke of luck that happened yesterday. The other day at work a pal informed me that the local hospice charity shop had a rather attractive Armista

Default Pip,Squeak & Wilfred and other charity shop finds.

Hi folks, thought i would share with you a stroke of luck that happened yesterday. The other day at work a pal informed me that the local hospice charity shop had a rather attractive Armistace day display in the window. That evening i ventured out to take a look & sure enough the window was decked out in Union Flags British legion items & of course poppies, Amongst all this were a few medals, Some photographs and a rememberance plaque or death penny as they are sometimes known ,An exellent rememberance display indeed and i assumed that all the medals etc belonged to some one who worked in the shop. Yesterday afternoon (Nov 12) i noticed that all the items were still on display so i went in & asked if they were for sale ? "yes" she said "£75" ,well it would of been rude not to! what do you think guys bargain or what? Cheers,Paul P.S. the medals are not related to the plaque unfortunatley ,but they are both Hampshire Regiment.

Pip,Squeak & Wilfred and other charity shop finds.Pip,Squeak & Wilfred and other charity shop finds.Pip,Squeak & Wilfred and other charity shop finds.Pip,Squeak & Wilfred and other charity shop finds.Pip,Squeak & Wilfred and other charity shop finds.Pip,Squeak & Wilfred and other charity shop finds.Pip,Squeak & Wilfred and other charity shop finds.Pip,Squeak & Wilfred and other charity shop finds.

I learned something new today --thanks for that.
    Not being a collector of British medals, I had never heard these medals
    being called, Pip, Squeak, and Wilfred.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Should all be framed in one display together.

?

Very nice , just shows it's still worth doing the Charity shops !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

A fantastic grouping. Congrats on picking that up and its from you home town to boot. Can't beat that!
    So I take it the name on the Plague is of the soldier that lost his life in service to his country. If So Is that name traceable in your area's records?
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Well done, a fine grouping well worth every penny! Leon.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    A fantastic grouping. Congrats on picking that up and its from you home town to boot. Can't beat that!
    So I take it the name on the Plague is of the soldier that lost his life in service to his country. If So Is that name traceable in your area's records?
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    im hoping to check the local war memorial tomorrow,will let you know.Cheers,Paul

For Pip,Squeak & wilfred see wikipidea cheers,Paul

A very nice find indeed.

As a former soldier, it saddens me that families think so little of what their relatives did and endured during the Great War. That anyone could think of selling such treasures for so little money, is almost an insult to the memory of the soldier.

As a collector, I enjoy being able to purchase such medals.

Just recently, an elderly lady gave me Squeak and Wilfred - awarded to her uncle who served in the Welsh Fusiliers.

Steve.

?

75 GBP for all that??? It would've been extremely rude not to.
    You may already know this but if not, here you are - 10888 Pte. Albert Charles Norgate from Oakley in Hampshire died of wounds 5/5/15 and is buried in Boulogne. Soldiers effects, the medal roll and soldiers died all show date of death as 6/5/15.

Alfred Mark Thompson first entered theatre in Hedjaz, never seen that before. He was discharged due to sickness in 1919, the SWB numbered 484071 was his.

Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast