Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Pip,Squeak & Wilfred and other charity shop finds.

Article about: Hi folks, thought i would share with you a stroke of luck that happened yesterday. The other day at work a pal informed me that the local hospice charity shop had a rather attractive Armista

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    I learned something new today --thanks for that.
    Not being a collector of British medals, I had never heard these medals
    being called, Pip, Squeak, and Wilfred.
    These medals were awarded from the early 1920's at which time Pip, Squeak and Wilfred were three characters in a newspaper cartoon strip (Daily Mirror I think) but exactly how the names became associated with the WWI "trio" seems lost to history I'm afraid but the nickname is still very much alive amongst collectors.

When just the Victory and War medals were awarded (due to the recipient not qualifying for the star) they are referred to as "Mutt and Jeff" which is another cartoon reference.

The idea that these belong together as mentioned above is not an issue as I am sure Pauscoot knows because this is not a group to one soldier. The name on the medals (I pressume all three are the same recipient) and the death plaque are different albeit the same regiment. Plus none of the soldiers in the pictures seem likely to be either recipient (unless transferred from a corps to the infantry which is not unheard of). The single soldier is wearing what looks like the Army Service Corps cap badge whilst the group of three seem to be Royal Engineers. It would be nice to find out if the "Services Rendered" badge relates to the medal recipient (these are researchable) as that would show he survived (it can't relate to the death plaque recipient as he clearly didn't).

A very nice catch and certainly room for some research in several directions. Let us know if you do find any info!

@ Paulscoot. You got a real bargain here as I am sure you know. Just the death plaque alone complete with cert and envelope would cost much more from a dealer.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    It would be nice to find out if the "Services Rendered" badge relates to the medal recipient (these are researchable) as that would show he survived (it can't relate to the death plaque recipient as he clearly didn't).

A very nice catch and certainly room for some research in several directions. Let us know if you do find any info!

@ Paulscoot. You got a real bargain here as I am sure you know. Just the death plaque alone complete with cert and envelope would cost much more from a dealer.

Regards

Mark
    Mark, see my post re the silver war badge, the issue number does belong to the the man named on the Star. He was discharged due to sickness in 1919.

Tony

Thanks for all the replies guys, No i haven't had the time to do any research on either Private Thompson or Private Norgate as yet so looks like you guys beat me to it i have however been to my local War memorial but unfortunately Private Norgate was not on it (apparently there are 300 who are not strangely) but i haven't been to the one in Oakley village as yet. All three of the medals are to Private Thompson & i don't believe he ever wore them as the ribbons are uncut long lengths & the medals them selves are quite minty ,Thanks Tony for confirming that the SWB was his also. As for the photo's the only one that could be Norgate or Thompson i believe is the colourized one with the hampshire regiment crest but i guess we'll never know. thanks again people cheers,Paul p.s. i had to google Hedjaz

Great pick up.
    I always liked the large remembrance medallions

Indeed Paul, a good score......... !
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by ynot View Post
    Mark, see my post re the silver war badge, the issue number does belong to the the man named on the Star. He was discharged due to sickness in 1919.

Tony
    Sorry Tony, I wasn't being obtuse. I didn't see your post as I think we must have been scribbling at the same time! Our posts are within 5 mins of each other so I think I was writing mine which became the top of page two as yours dropped in at the bottom of page one!

If my geography / world history serves me well I believe Hejaz is part of Saudi these days (isn't it where Mecca and Medina are?) but during the first world war there was all kinds of separatist nonsense going on there involving those nice Ottoman chaps (lovely couches and stuff)! It's just that it doesn't feature much in the big boys book of world events as the WWI thing was much the bigger fixture and we won that one on aggregate!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-16-2015 at 02:16 PM.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

No worries Mark and I didn't think you were being obtuse I didn't think to look at the posting times, sorry.

Tony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2