Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Polishing Trench Art ?

Article about: I know you shouldn't polish metals etc , but what about Trench Art ? I can't see it hurting the value , but does it ? It's mostly brass shell casings etc and will tarnish again in no time .

CBH
    ?

Default Polishing Trench Art ?

I know you shouldn't polish metals etc , but what about Trench Art ? I can't see it hurting the value , but does it ? It's mostly brass shell casings etc and will tarnish again in no time .

Default Re: Polishing Trench Art ?

CBH, I don't polish any of my shells - as the polishing would slowly wear away at the metal.

CBH
    ?

I guess thats fair . I was working in a home a few years ago , there was a WW1 vet in the family who had brought back lots of stuff , and they had two German shell casing by the firer place , which you could see your face in . But they wouldn't part with them . Thanks for the reply

Polish 'em!! No self respecting housewife in possession of a brass vase, ashtray or lamp stand sent home by their loved one would dream of having them next to the Aspidistra in the 'Sunday room' if they we're not Brassoed within an inch of their life and as shiny as a new pin!! Afterall, what would the vicar think?

Regards, Ned
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Nothing wrong with polishing them.
    Brass shell casings are thick and you couldn't wear them out in many lifetimes of polishing.