Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

possible Trench art?

Article about: Any thoughts please on this item.it appears to be a French Lebel round.many thanks..............Jake.

Default possible Trench art?

Any thoughts please on this item.it appears to be a French Lebel round.many thanks..............Jake.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture possible Trench art?   possible Trench art?  

possible Trench art?  

A lot of these were produced at the end of the great war as a minor industry, a nice item and one of the best of this type that I have seen as most are just plain. Ypres was known to the British Tommies as WIPERS. The BBC had a show about the Wipers Times last week, but I missed it. BBC History - The Wipers Times: the funny side of World War I
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

That is really nice. While I have seen engraved bullet letter openers, I have never seen one with a gun on it like that (looks to be a French 75mm)

?

Interesting I have also never seen one with the cannon mostly the german ones are the ones you come across now and then interesting piece

The cannon is a nice touch. As said, most likely locally produced in the Ypres area post war for mementos and souvenirs. A truly terrible battle area-one in which even Hitler himself got gassed. A very nice find!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."