Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Possible WW1 British made US Army Officers cap badge?

Article about: Gday all, I was hoping someone could help me identify this US Army Officers cap badge. It seems to match the examples I have seen online but as they are not my thing I'm really not sure of i

Default Possible WW1 British made US Army Officers cap badge?

Gday all,
    I was hoping someone could help me identify this US Army Officers cap badge.

Possible WW1 British made US Army Officers cap badge?Possible WW1 British made US Army Officers cap badge?

It seems to match the examples I have seen online but as they are not my thing I'm really not sure of it's era of manufacture or place of construction but the lugs look British to me.
    The pin is a more recent attachment I feel.
    Thanks in advance
    All the best
    Dave

Default Re: Possible WW1 British made US Army Officers cap badge?

It looks British made to me too.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Gday Ade,
    The only examples with similar lugs I've seen date this badge to 1917-18 and of British manufacture.

Possible WW1 British made US Army Officers cap badge?Possible WW1 British made US Army Officers cap badge?

Flying Tiger Antiques Online Store: Rare English-Made WWI US Army Officer Visor Hat Badge

I feel it compares well if this sites ID is correct but I have no real knowledge of US insignia manufacture to make an informed call.
    Thanks for your reply and interest Ade.
    All the best
    Dave

?

Just by the fact that it has the cotter pin style back I would say that it is British made and a rather nice one too

Hi Dave, US made ones were screwback.

It is a nice badge, I would buy it. I think I actually owned one once in the dim and distant past.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Nice one - Quite a rare bird.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

When and where were these pin styles used on cap badges? I've only seen repros, or badges which I'm told are repros, or restamps with these types of pins.

Hi Martin, these were used by the US Army serving on the Western Front in WW1.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I meant in relation to British Cap Badges, which usually seem to have a prong/clip, rather than this sort of pin, however any number of repro ones/badges of questionable origin seem to use this style of pin too (British WWII Era included). Were those ever officially made?

Thanks,
    Martin

EDIT - Sorry for going off topic, the question didn't seem important enough to deserve it's own topic.

No worries. This type of fitting is period and legitimate. But not widely used on British Army cap badges in the WW1 timeframe. Used on British Army Officers collars dogs etc.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast