Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Possible WW1 British made US Army Officers cap badge?

Article about: Gday all, I was hoping someone could help me identify this US Army Officers cap badge. It seems to match the examples I have seen online but as they are not my thing I'm really not sure of i

Default Re: Possible WW1 British made US Army Officers cap badge?

Many British badges were made using lugs of this type and British badges could have either lugs, or sliders or blades (Officers or plastic economy) and in some less common cases they might have screw posts.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Gday all,
    Thanks for your replies re this interesting little badge gents. Your input is greatly appreciated as always.
    I was a little dubious at first through my ignorance re US Army hat badges but the evidence kept pointing to WW1 British manufacture.
    Thanks again for the confirmation.

Australian service badge attachments were predominantly lug and pin in both world wars with the most notable exception being the WW1 Light Horse "slider" hat badges.
    All the best gent's
    Dave

AIF
    ?

Quote by Thanatos View Post

Australian service badge attachments were predominantly lug and pin in both world wars with the most notable exception being the WW1 Light Horse "slider" hat badges.
    All the best gent's
    Dave
    Sorry to go off track here but there is no such thing as a lighthorse "slider" badge. This term was coined some years ago by a dodgy seller to make more money from unwary buyers. The rising sun badges with the sliders were British made replacements for Aussies serving on the Western front and they are fairly common and not as rare as sellers would have you believe. All lighthorse rising sun badges were Australian made or If replacements were needed and not available they were sand cast in the desert. I'm not having a go at you in anyway just trying to set the story straight as it annoys me to no end seeing these badges listed on ebay as "lighthorse only" and "Very rare" ect...

Cheers Luke.

AIF
    ?

Also I agree with the other posters here. British made replacement for Americans serving in France, and a beautiful example too

Cheers Luke.

Quote by AIF View Post
    Sorry to go off track here but there is no such thing as a lighthorse "slider" badge. This term was coined some years ago by a dodgy seller to make more money from unwary buyers. The rising sun badges with the sliders were British made replacements for Aussies serving on the Western front and they are fairly common and not as rare as sellers would have you believe. All lighthorse rising sun badges were Australian made or If replacements were needed and not available they were sand cast in the desert. I'm not having a go at you in anyway just trying to set the story straight as it annoys me to no end seeing these badges listed on ebay as "lighthorse only" and "Very rare" ect...

Cheers Luke.
    I understand what you are saying Luke. I normally don't use the phrase but today I fell into the trap and did in a rush to finish the post. It's language that most understand though.

Here's a link to a slider I posted
    WW1 Australian "slider" Hat badge

No Reference to Light Horse in that thread only WW1 issue. I guess that is the one certainty with the slider type..

I believe there is photographic evidence to show that British made slider replacements were sent to the Middle East and issued to Light Horse troopers and they were not exclusive to the Western Front only. The truth is somewhat lost in the mists of time.
    Here's a link to the AWM site showing a Light Horse issued slider
    Rising Sun Hat Badge : Private E G Kinnear, 9 Light Horse Regiment, AIF | Australian War Memorial
    Cheers Luke
    Dave
    Last edited by Thanatos; 04-04-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Added link

?

looks like a sew on ?

Gday Colt 45,
    A pin back for sure.
    Here's some WW2 British and Australian examples of the set up.

Possible WW1 British made US Army Officers cap badge?Possible WW1 British made US Army Officers cap badge?

The classic RAF Cap Badge pin arrangement is also a good example of this.
    Evening shot's aren't the best at my place, sorry about the glare in the second image.

All the best
    Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2