Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Post-WW1 Industrialized Gas Masks

Article about: I don't know if it's exactly appropriate for this forum, but I would like to show you guys what happened to a lot of American gas masks after WW1. As you may know, by the end of the war chem

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Great thread,are the first 2 images in fact the US M1 series mask?just thought i would ask as the face and bracket exhale vale and 6 point harness are basically the same,Rene you have an M3A1 Diaphragm,good stuff and very informative indeed.
    Good eye! The KTM mask I have shown was developed near the end of the war, 1917/18 if I remember correctly. Throughout the 1920's and 1930's development continued and that's how we got the M1 series.

Here's some photos of M1 series masks for comparison, these are from gasmasklexikon.com.

This first one is indeed very similar to the KTM, the only notable changes being the hose/filter and bag. The facepiece is essentially the same.
    This later one is interesting as we can see the updated lens retainers. These were used because it meant broken lenses could be replaced easily. There are some other cosmetic changes here too, like the stockinette material, but military masks are a bit outside of my area of knowledge.

Thanks for clarification,i know at the end of ww1 the US worked from the KTM and SBR to help develope the M1 series followed by M1A1 M1A2,i think these variations were finalized around 1930?i do luv these masks but don't collect them,i used Boris plotikoff?spellings wrong but you know who i mean,he has some great masks in that collection.you've started a really good thread,well done.

That last image is what i know as a typical M1 series mask,fantastic.

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Thanks for clarification,i know at the end of ww1 the US worked from the KTM and SBR to help develope the M1 series followed by M1A1 M1A2,i think these variations were finalized around 1930?i do luv these masks but don't collect them,i used Boris plotikoff?spellings wrong but you know who i mean,he has some great masks in that collection.you've started a really good thread,well done.
    Boris is really a great guy, I've talked to him once or twice. He knows his stuff.

Default Industrialized KT

I am proud to announce that I have managed to find one final industrialized WW1 gas mask, this time the rare KT (Kops-Tissot) model. RetroRespirators did a great thread on his KT a while back, which can be found HERE, if you want more info on a "standard" military KT.
    (Above: standard KT in period photograph)
    Post-WW1 Industrialized Gas MasksPost-WW1 Industrialized Gas Masks
    Here's my example, a bit worse for wear over the years but still in fairly good condition. Two of the most notable deviations are the lenses, which appear to be closer in appearance to those of the AT, and the bizarre usage of fabric to replace the normal KT headharness. While the former was likely done during the mask's military service, the latter is almost certainly a post-military modification.
    The next detail of note is the industrial filter, in this case one made using Kupramite, a substance that in 1919 was found to be very effective against ammonia fumes, which were commonly used in refrigeration systems at the time. The clasp affixing the filter to the hose is also abnormal, but has appeared before on industrialized KTM masks sold by the York Refrigeration Company, implying a relationship between that particular industry and a need to swap filters rather quickly.
    My final two photos are of the outside and inside of the box, as you can see the mask was sold with two filters, furthering the "quick change" theory. Please also note the name "Yablick" on the outside of the case, as it refers to Max Yablick, who among other things helped design the AT and KT masks while working for the CWS in WW1, patented the design for this case and eventually worked for MSA.

Hope you enjoyed, please feel free to ask any questions that you have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2