Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Princess Mary Gift Tin Display

Article about: Hi everyone, thought I would show a Princess Mary Gift Tin and contents. Many of you will be very familiar with these boxes, but for those not familiar with them, these tins were given to Br

Default Princess Mary Gift Tin Display

Hi everyone, thought I would show a Princess Mary Gift Tin and contents.

Many of you will be very familiar with these boxes, but for those not familiar with them, these tins were given to British soldiers and sailors serving in war zones as a Christmas present from The Princess Mary in December 1914. Starting in the following year, they were ultimately also given to all other British troops, and were paid for by a public fundraising campaign. The tins came in a cardboard box (not shown) and had variable contents, some packed in the tin and some packed on top of the tin in the outer box. The tins usually contained pipe tobacco and cigarettes, and a Christmas card and photo of Princess Mary. In the cardboard box was usually a lighter and a pipe, (not shown) and a bullet pencil set (shown). There were also non smoker versions that contained such items as a stationary set and sweets. From 1915 a simplified set was issued consisting of just the tin, bullet pencil, Christmas card and photograph.

A postcard of the King and Queen was also received by troops along with the gift set. Sailors received a version with the King in Naval uniform (shown here) and soldiers received an army uniform version.

Shown here with other period personal items and small equipment.

Any comments welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Princess Mary Gift Tin Display   Princess Mary Gift Tin Display  

Princess Mary Gift Tin Display   Princess Mary Gift Tin Display  

Princess Mary Gift Tin Display   Princess Mary Gift Tin Display  

CBH
    ?

Thanks for the great detailed post , these tins are great items , I've given them as Christmas gifts a couple times . I've read that a crate of unopened Tins were found in Ireland recently and were sold for big money and will that some will be auctioned off for charity .

Very good Douglas, always good to see the contents as mine is sadly empty.

There was also a version that contained spices for Indian troops I think.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Yes indeed Jerry.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Hi everyone, thought I would show a Princess Mary Gift Tin and contents.

Many of you will be very familiar with these boxes, but for those not familiar with them, these tins were given to British soldiers and sailors serving in war zones as a Christmas present from The Princess Mary in December 1914. Starting in the following year, they were ultimately also given to all other British troops, and were paid for by a public fundraising campaign. The tins came in a cardboard box (not shown) and had variable contents, some packed in the tin and some packed on top of the tin in the outer box. The tins usually contained pipe tobacco and cigarettes, and a Christmas card and photo of Princess Mary. In the cardboard box was usually a lighter and a pipe, (not shown) and a bullet pencil set (shown). There were also non smoker versions that contained such items as a stationary set and sweets. From 1915 a simplified set was issued consisting of just the tin, bullet pencil, Christmas card and photograph.

A postcard of the King and Queen was also received by troops along with the gift set. Sailors received a version with the King in Naval uniform (shown here) and soldiers received an army uniform version.

Shown here with other period personal items and small equipment.

Any comments welcome.
    Hi Douglas nice tin & contents. Are the ciggies & tobacco original or modern repro. The tin I have has everything bar the ciggies and bacy, never got round to buying any of the repro bacy.
    Steve.

Hi Steve, thanks for that, the contents are original.

I saw a tin a few years back in very poor condition but with the baccy and fags in it, but I declined to pay the asking price! It was not an easy decision to make and sometimes I think maybe I should have got them when I had the chance.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I have an original at work with partial contents, the greetings card and envelope, the baccy and the fags, but both have been opened. But nothing more.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

A great set Doug, I think the cards saying Victorious New Year came with the bullet pencil but that's only from my own observations, I have nothing to confirm it.

I've missed out on a few good pieces belonging to the tins like the cardboard box or accompanying letter because I thought they were too expensive at the time.

Tony

P.S. have you seen the prices single cigarettes sell for now?
    Last edited by ynot; 02-09-2016 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Hi Tony, thanks for that. The 1915 new year card did indeed accompany the simplified set with only the bullet pencil. However, the bullet pencil was also included in some of the 1914 sets. Certainly the prices for these individual items are rising quickly and yes I have seen very expensive individual cigarettes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast