Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Princess Mary's gift tin 1914

Article about: Thanks Mike. A very useful guide. I have saved the pics from the auctions and also labeled them for future reference. Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: Princess Mary's gift tin 1914

Thanks Mike. A very useful guide. I have saved the pics from the auctions and also labeled them for future reference.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Images Attached Images Princess Mary's gift tin 1914  Princess Mary's gift tin 1914  Princess Mary's gift tin 1914 

Great Job Ade ...Now , there's one other VERY helpful site that we should mention as it covers the 7 variations of Boxes that were produced back then. It can be found here --

The Princess Mary Christmas Gift 1914

Mr. Hinckley did a fantastic Job documenting how they differ and what to look for. He even created a graph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Princess Mary's gift tin 1914  

G'day All

Here's mine for the mix

René
    Last edited by reneblacky; 07-21-2019 at 07:00 AM.

I am yet amazed again at what you guys come up with, my words to describe these are beautiful, awsom and for the cigarettes, Stale!! Its remarkable that they have lasted this long!! Great tins and really enjoyed you showing them!!

Don Gieb
    ?

For Sale: Princess Mary 1914 Gift tin: $140(about 96Euro) I have had my 1914 Princess Mary gift tin for about 25 years. It is in very good condition. It is all brass, with no trarces of gilt. I didn't even know that it was guilt at one time. there are no rust,r pitted or damaged areas. I have heard that they are more common in the UK as they were given to British troops, but they are a bit rarer in San Francisco, so perhaps I overpaid according to British prices. In any event I have decided to sell it and am still trying to find out how to properly post to warrelic clasifieds. I will try and upgrade the picture quality. email: banc447ins@gmail.com if interested.

ILH
    ?

Once upon a time, a small museum was donated one of these by the grand-daughter of a ww1 nurse. It was in lovely condition and put on proud display in a lit cabinet... standing on edge...

....yup, a few weeks later the contents had formed a very sticky pool around the tin

the tin is now lying flat on a much lower shelf, but it'll never be openable again.

jim

Don Gieb
    ?

Sticky pool? Someone advised me that many of the gift tins once were filledwith candy, but most people are talking about tobacco. Personally I think both must have beengiven jout as I was told that this person had seen them in England with the candy still in the tin. Don G.

ILH
    ?

I'm not sure of this, but had heard that the chocolate ones are rarer and nurses got them because they weren't supposed to smoke.

Don Gieb
    ?

Interesting indeed, how these stories float about. I had heard they/some were filled with hard candies under a clear celophane wrapping so that you could see the various candies and this person was saying that he had either seen or been told, that some of the tins occassionally popped up in antique shops with the candy unopened and intact. This would seem to hold possible more for hard candy then for chocolates, but then I'm sure the chocolates were eaten rather quickly.

Hi Guys, please re read the link I originaly posted from the IWM. It tells you all about the different contents Here it is again:

Imperial War Museum Collections > Exhibits & Firearms > Frequently Asked Questions : Princess Mary's Gift to the Troops, Christmas 1914

Cheers, Ade.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast