Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Private Leslie Bryan Scott, 6th. Marines, 2nd Div., WW I volunteer hero of my hometown

Article about: Leslie Bryan Scott was born on July 21, 1897 in League City, Texas. He was the first male child born to a city that was itself in its infancy, the only man to enlist in the Marines, and the

Default Private Leslie Bryan Scott, 6th. Marines, 2nd Div., WW I volunteer hero of my hometown

Leslie Bryan Scott was born on July 21, 1897 in League City, Texas. He was the first male child born to a city that was itself in its infancy, the only man to enlist in the Marines, and the only man to die in battle from League City (two other soldiers from League City died during the war, but neither death was combat related). His father, James S. Scott, was a Judge in this small city and was married to a fine lady by the name of Pearl. The couple had a total of three children; Leslie was the elder brother of Earl (who served in the Army during WW I), and his sister Norma Rhea. From oral accounts of the town’s people, Leslie was an obedient and respectful son, and was a friend to all in the town.

Private Scott enlisted on April 7, 1917, and traveled to various training camps in New Orleans, Louisiana Quantico, and Norfolk Virginia. He departed the US to the battlefields of France in February of 1918. On July 10, Scott was wounded and sent to hospital where he was treated and released back into the line. During this time of intense fighting, Private Scott was once again wounded in action, this time he would not recover. On September 13, 1918, Scott was hit by shrapnel, tearing away most of his shoulder. He lay wounded and dying in the hospital for two days – passing into immortality on September 15, 1918, Private Scott was buried temporarily under French soil. Following the end of the Great War, arrangements were made to have the body exhumed and returned to the States for a hometown burial. On the 5th of June 1921, the remains of the fallen hero left New York for League City upon arrival from overseas. The telegram below was sent to his mother notifying her of the homecoming.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Private Leslie Bryan Scott, 6th. Marines, 2nd Div., WW I volunteer hero of my hometown   Private Leslie Bryan Scott, 6th. Marines, 2nd Div., WW I volunteer hero of my hometown  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Private Leslie Bryan Scott, 6th. Marines, 2nd Div., WW I volunteer hero of my hometown

On the rainy afternoon of June 10, 1921, one of the largest crowds ever seen in League City assembled at St. Mary’s Catholic Church. The church, built in 1910, was overflowing with people, and many had to stand outside in the rain during the service. The mood inside was a mixture of sadness, patriotism, and admiration, and pride. US flags, fern, and flowers covered every bare area of wall and table space inside. The casket containing the remains of our hero lay in state in a prominent place near the pulpit, behind which, was a picture of the deceased and his decorations awarded for bravery. Around the base of the fallen, flowers of every size, variety, and color appeared to actually support the dead hero. On one of the church walls, the service flag of our city displayed the valor of those serving in the form of three gold and 47 blue stars.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Private Leslie Bryan Scott, 6th. Marines, 2nd Div., WW I volunteer hero of my hometown  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Private Leslie Bryan Scott, 6th. Marines, 2nd Div., WW I volunteer hero of my hometown

Another view of his casket.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Private Leslie Bryan Scott, 6th. Marines, 2nd Div., WW I volunteer hero of my hometown  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

The church is a historical landmark today, and therefore is locked except for special occasions.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

The first photo was taken through the front glass windows, so I apologize for the poor quality. The area in these photos, show the same area from period photos where Scott lay during the ceremony.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Private Leslie Bryan Scott, 6th. Marines, 2nd Div., WW I volunteer hero of my hometown   Private Leslie Bryan Scott, 6th. Marines, 2nd Div., WW I volunteer hero of my hometown  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

After the services were concluded, a contingent of four Marines called upon from Houston, just 25 miles away, carried the body down the church steps and placed their brother in arms upon a horse-drawn caisson. The final resting-place for Scott was to be Fairview Cemetery, only about 8 blocks away and poised overlooking Clear Creek. The honor guard and the citizens accompanied Scott in the procession on his last journey. Except for the modern trashcan, the missing iron gates, and the occasional addition to the number of deceased, this small cemetery has not changed much at all since it was established in 1900. Although not a State or National cemetery, approximately 30% of the graves there hold the remains of veterans from both sides of the Civil War, Spanish American War, WW I, WW II, Korea, and Vietnam. The remains of Leslie B. Scott passed through these very gate obelisks seen in the picture below for the conclusion of his long journey.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Very appropriately, Pvt. Leslie B. Scott’s body rests in the center of the cemetery, the heart of the grounds one might say.

Finally, here is the grave of our sole Marine to serve in WW I, modest and somewhat inconspicuous lies the hero.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

The day of my visit to the cemetery was very much like the day of the burial long ago, intermittent downpours followed by drizzle. This fact struck me as I stood under the rain at the foot of the grave, and remembering the details of my research and study on Scott – coincidence I guess. My mind wandered back to the day of his burial and I imagined that I was there, visualizing the sad expressions and the atmosphere of that day. Imagining that long-past day was not difficult with the thunder and rain painting the backdrop in my mind’s eye. Strangely, I have passed Scott’s grave many times on strolls through this peaceful area in the evenings where I like to collect my thoughts. This time, knowing all of the intimate details of his death, standing at his feet was very moving and I felt as though I knew him. I stood there thinking of his poor Mother, grief no doubt still fresh for her son, now grieving all over again for him and her husband. Yes, sadly, Judge Scott died in 1921, two months before his son’s body returned home. He is however, buried next to Leslie, and wife Pearl who passed in 1949.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

In keeping with old traditions during my visit, I placed a river pebble from my yard on top of the marble headstone to mark my visit next to a penny left by another - days, weeks, or months ago. I left a little something else as well – a ribbon bar to the Purple Heart Medal. I hope that it will remind others who visit Leslie that he paid the ultimate price for the freedom that we unfortunately take advantage of too often today, even in a time of war. Stone and ribbon being in place, I said farewell, touched the face of the marble, and walked away as the rainfall increased.

Leaving the cemetery…I could not help thinking about future burials of heroes here from the wars of today, and those yet to come.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

very interesting and heart felt.... many thanks for posting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast