Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

question on my grandfathers medals

Article about: Hi everybody, i am just trying to look into a medal group, which belonged to my grandfather Thomas Bertie Foster. Im afraid i dont have the medals to hand to photograph, but they are as foll

Default question on my grandfathers medals

Hi everybody, i am just trying to look into a medal group, which belonged to my grandfather Thomas Bertie Foster.
    Im afraid i dont have the medals to hand to photograph, but they are as follows:

1914-15 star - BWM - Victory - GSM (kurdistan & Iraq) - Defence Medal - Police LSGC

The ww1 trio is named to - SS 1015 SGT T B FOSTER S&T Corps
    The GSM is named to SS 1015 IA SJT T B FOSTER

Army Form B 2079 records that my Grandfather enlisted in Peterborough on 24th April 1915, and that he had seen active service overseas (france and flanders).
    He had served for four years, three hundred and sixty-three days, (Nearly five years)in the Royal Army Service Corps. He had been a horse transport driver.

My first query is this:

His discharge from the RASC took place at Woolwich Common on 21st April, 1920.
    He must have decided that he enjoyed Army life as he re-enlisted for another four years the following day.
    However, Army Form B 2079 reveals that he enlisted for the Indian Army Service Corps, in Delhi on 22nd April 1920
    What I don't understand is how this could have taken place , on the very next day, in Delhi??

My second Query is this:

My understanding of the Prefix SS is for Supply Special in the ASC, and wanted to confirm if it would be the same for the Indian army's S&T Corps??

many thanks for reading!
    any help appreciated!!
    Ed

I can only speculate that one of the places is notional. Perhaps as some sort of clerical procedure to ensure some sort of service continuity.

When he enlisted in the Indian Army perhaps that the place of enlistment was deemed to be Delhi even though the man was still in London.

I'm sure that is of no use whatsoever but I thought I would mention it.

i thought possibly the same, just wondered if anyone could confirm this or not.

Ed,

I hope you do not mind me posting your Grandfathers MIC for all to view,

click to enlarge in a new window.

Best wishes

Andrzej

kc1
    ?

I thought SS meant special service in that he was enlisted under special/different conditions unlike a straight forward can be sent anywhere general enlistment. I.e the territorial force war medal was awarded to members of the terriers who gave up their enlistment right to be used only on home service.
    S&T i havent got my unit designation list to hand what are you saying these stand for?

?

Quote by kc1 View Post
    S&T i havent got my unit designation list to hand what are you saying these stand for?
    Isn't S&T Supply and Transport?

Quote by ynot View Post
    Isn't S&T Supply and Transport?
    Yes. Supply and transport corps. Indian army.
    I believe the ss for special service when in relation the ASC meant more of a special role as in clerk, bookkeeper etc?

Here they are:

question on my grandfathers medalsquestion on my grandfathers medals

Hello Ed,

I just thought that you might like to see the following form which list's your Grandfather Thomas B Foster SS1015 which list's His service in Basra from the 20th February 1916 - 20th October 1918.

The Victory and War Medal Roll

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. click the photograph to enlarge in a new window.

Andrzej, that is very kind thankyou,
    this is something new to me!!