Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Question: WWI Prisoner of War Identification tags?

Article about: Hi all, I'm new to posting but have lurked around from time to time. I know that there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this message board and was hoping that someone could help me clear

Default Question: WWI Prisoner of War Identification tags?

Hi all,

I'm new to posting but have lurked around from time to time. I know that there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this message board and was hoping that someone could help me clear up a question.

Was Allied POW's issued prisoner identification tags during World War I? I've seen many examples of POW identification tags that had been issued to prisoners during WWII, but haven't been able to find any examples of similar tags issued to prisoners during the First World War. Any help in clearing up this question would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
    James

I cannot find any reference to WWI German-issued POW-Tags for Allied POWs, nor have I ever seen one identified as such a tag...As far as I know, in certain circumstances their clothing would be marked prominently for recognition if they were assigned to outside work-crews...
    cheers, Glenn

Thanks for clearing that up! I've been searching google for a couple of days and haven't found anything about it so I wasn't sure. Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know how their clothing was marked? Thank again, I appreciate your help.

All the best,
    James

A long white stripe on their pants-legs or a "KG" (Kriegsgefangener/POW) on the back of their tunic...
    cheers, Glenn

Thanks for all your help! I appreciate your time.

All the best,
    James