Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Rare! Robbins of Dudley Short Sword

Article about: Hi Guys, "rare" is a much over used term when it comes to militaria. However, in this case, I think I am justified in using it to describe the latest item added to my collection. T

Default Rare! Robbins of Dudley Short Sword

Hi Guys, "rare" is a much over used term when it comes to militaria.

However, in this case, I think I am justified in using it to describe the latest item added to my collection.

To those of you that are not aware of Robbins of Dudley, here is some background information. Robbins was established in 1880 in Fountain Street, Dudley, where they originally manufactured baths and ironwork. They were later listed as "grate and fender makers" (fireplace fixtures) until 1906 when they began to produce art metalwork. In 1910 they began focusing exclusively on this aspect of the business. WW1 saw the Company branch out in trench knife making and they produced a series of push daggers, knuckle knives, etc, all for private purchase to British and Allied troops. The push daggers are quite well known. The company ceased trading is 1928.

What we have here is one of their rarest products. To illustrate this, try and find an image of one online. All that comes up is a poor line drawing! Until now of course. Students of trench knives will have Fred Stephens book from 1985 and Ron Flook's book on British Fighting knives. There is one of these shown in these two publications, and it is in fact one and the same knife as evidenced by a deep scratch to the hilt. Fred's book calls it "extremely rare". There is a variant of the knife, even rarer still! This one has a large "mushroom" shaped pommel.

The blade is 12 inches long! Hence the "short sword" designation. The hilt is typical of their products and features the usual grey alloy grip cast directly onto the blade tang. The company name is stamped onto the hilt. Pay very close attention to the letter "Y" in Dudley. Some Robbins knives have been faked and the stamp should always match the one shown here.

Scabbards can be brown leather with a retaining loop for the grip. The scabbard used for this example is taken from a 1903 pattern Enfield Bayonet and which the knife fits perfectly.

Sadly there is no known history to this one. The vendor's brother was given the knife in the 1960's and that is all that is known.

Needless to say, I was very happy to obtain this one.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare! Robbins of Dudley Short Sword   Rare! Robbins of Dudley Short Sword  

Rare! Robbins of Dudley Short Sword   Rare! Robbins of Dudley Short Sword  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

This is a first for me Ade , a wonderful find ...blade is in super condition also
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

That's a great looking blade!....

Very nice Ade!
    I like this one! Super condition as well!
    Congrats!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

That is a great piece
    The very thick blade looks extremely lethal.
    It's a very cool addition to your collection.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Outstanding acquisition Ade.
    The pride of ownership certainly goes with this blade. Congratulations friend.

?

WOW!!! Robbins made some very interesting "trench" knives, I have had a couple over the years.. But I have not seen this beast before. Great Find.

Dean O
    Canada

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Wow. That is amazing. Glad you found that drawing to prove it's real. I have another sword size dagger posted here on the forum that also has a solid metal cast handle and made around this same time. That's where the similarities stop tho. Mine has a brass handle and a steel 4 sided stabbing club like blade. Hopefully I'll luck up like you did and find some information on it eventually.
    Congratulations! It's beautiful indeed!