Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RFC ww1 id tag found! Any help wanted!

Article about: Adrian mentioned that Wilson was ground crew with the rank of Air Mechanic 1st Class. I would caution that the rank of Air Mechanic applied to all RFC privates. It did not denote his job in

Default RFC ww1 id tag found! Any help wanted!

Hello to all!
    A french digger recovered this silver ww1 dog tag!Extraordinary find!
    It appears to be difficult for him to find its history....
    As usual,i need your help!May be could we find the family of this brave??
    Thanks !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RFC ww1 id tag found! Any help wanted!  

Default Re: a RFC ww1 id tag found!Any help wanted!

Hi Seb, the problem with WW1 service records is the majority were destroyed in 1940 care of the Luftwaffe. However, I have found some info on your man. He arrived in France on 21st of December 1915. He was awarded the 1915 Star. He was a member of the ground crew and rank was 1st Class Air Mechanic.

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: RFC ww1 id tag found! Any help wanted!

So many thanks,Ade!
    An example of British efficiency!

Hi Seb, very nice item and rare i should think, nice bit of detective work there Ade, always comes up trumps.
    Dave.

Hi Seb

Herewith extract from CWG Site - but no force number for 2nd man, the only RFC G Wilson casualty. Your man here?:

No Surname Rank Service Number Date Of Death Age Regiment/Service Nationality Grave/Memorial Ref. Cemetery/Memorial Name
    1 WILSON , GEOFFREY Lieutenant 15/05/1918 23 Royal Air Force United Kingdom ARRAS FLYING SERVICES MEMORIAL
    2 WILSON , GORDON IVOR Second Lieutenant 12/02/1917 20 Royal Flying Corps United Kingdom 8. UPAVON CEMETERY
    3 WILSON , G L Air Mechanic 3rd Class 43166 17/12/1918 21 Royal Air Force United Kingdom VII. C. 9. LES BARAQUES MILITARY CEMETERY, SANGATTE

Hi Peter, sadly none of those listed are the right man.

Hi Seb, here is a scan of his medal index card. No more info is available. His Christian name is not listed, just the initial "G". He appears to have survived the war.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RFC ww1 id tag found! Any help wanted!  

Thanks Ade - assumed he was KIA rather than just careless.

Cheers

All of you are Masters....Let an humble Frog thanks you once again warmly!!This is top!!

kc1
    ?

Where was the i.d tag found?
    I see Lt G Wilson appears on the Arras memorial, to my mind this means he has no known grave.
    It was common practice at least earlier in the war for aircraft mechanics to be co opted as flying personnel to man rear machine guns for aerial defence on 2 seater recce machines. As casualities mounted it was possible for those from the ranks to be promoted, especially into the trade of observer.
    The medal index card shows the award of the 1915 star, there would also be the award of the british war medal and victory medal. These are not shown as being awarded on this card and its not unusual for there to be another card detailing the award of the other medals. This may have more information, possibly even on the back, addresses and the like.
    Its been posted that the man whose details are on the tag survived the war. If the search was done on the tags details and he didn't show on the cwgc site of war dead it may be that he could have been killed as an officer and not as 7549 g wilson resulting in a negative result.
    It could be he was just careless with his i.d tag.

Hi, I did a good search on him but could not find any more info.

But here is the card for Lt G Wilson. Not the same man as you will see.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast