Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rimless Brodie Red Insignia

Article about: Evening everyone, Could I have some opinions on this lid? I believe it's a rimless brodie, judging by the rectangular chinstrap bales. It appears that a B type liner was added, since the chi

Default Rimless Brodie Insignia?

Evening everyone,

Could I have some opinions on this lid? I believe it's a rimless brodie, judging by the rectangular chinstrap bales. It appears that a B type liner was added, since the chinstrap is connected to the top of the helmet.

Does the red triangle on the front relate to the 29th division?

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

Quinn

Last edited by matthewsq; 08-02-2016 at 06:58 AM.

Hi,
    Yes a nice early Mk I - with the early D bales and refitted with a later liner and chin strap. The red triangle is likely 29th Div but other units used red triangles but not always on helmets.

Thanks for the reply, you're always helpful with these lids. Does that mean that this is one of the early 4400 helmets?

Likely not one of the first 4400 model 'A' War Department helmets- easy test though as they were mild steel and therefore magnetic. They were as much of a risk to the wearer as having nothing on your head as they did little to stop shrapnel and added fragments to head wounds. They were promptly modified by adding 10-15% manganese to the alloy (which introduced about 1% carbon as a strengthening element) and thickening the draw sheets ever so slightly to 20 gauge (0.036 inch) which then gave them significant ballistic strength in October '15 and known as the Model B. Later mods introduced the rim ring and the improved series of liners and straps.

Default War Office Pattern Brodie

A link to a thread on my helmet.

War Office Pattern Steel Helmet

Mark, that helmet is a serious looker. I love the apple green paint. Thanks for sharing.