Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

RMS Lusitania Medal

Article about: Hi Guys, this one came into work last week and I thought that you might like to see it? Still in it's box and in nice condition. Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I have one of these somewhere but I have always regarded it as a later copy as I believe there are more copies than originals about.
    Does anyone know how to identify an original?
    If mine is real I think I should rescue it from the bottom of the "odds and sods box"

Regards

Mark
    Greetings Mark,

This video discusses the differences between the German original & British Copies.

Regards,

Lance

Thanks for that Lance

As I say I have always regarded mine as a later repro and have never paid much mind to it. It was given to me at a time and place I just don't recall so there is no issue of loss potential here.

Interestingly this video discusses an "original" German striking of this medal yet if I recall my history of propaganda correctly the Germans have always denied that such a thing was ever done (it would be extremely dishonourable in terms of the "rules of war" and don't see the Kaisers Navy being very happy about it) and the accepted line has been that it was the British who produced this and circulated the tale the "the dastardly Hun" was glorying in the deaths of non-combattants.

I know that history often needs to be re-written when new facts are discovered as evidence comes to light so perhaps I am out of date with this story.
    Do you know of this medal being finally attributed to German sources?

This of course makes no difference to the "original versus later repro" debate as whoever produced it this is still a valid question.

Thanks again for the link which is helpful.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hold the presses, found this website and it would appear there are magnetic German made variants too.

Main

Regards,

Lance

Default Exhahabition of War Models.

Greetings Gents,

Viewed this contemporary reference to the medal on a popular online auction site today and instead of creating a new thread, I thought it would be best to add it here.

Njoy,

Lance

Double click on images to enlarge.

RMS Lusitania Medal
    RMS Lusitania MedalRMS Lusitania Medal

Interesting... thanks for posting.

Very interesting! I have recently been teaching Year 11 students about this incident. The ship sinking and related propaganda war worked really well with my 'Contestability of History' unit. Many thanks for sharing Ade.

?

I had always wanted one of these as my other hobby is studying the big Ocean Liner Disasters of the great days of steam. The Titanic, Lusitania, Empress of Ireland and so on. I was finally able to get one a few years ago and it is one of my most favourite pieces. It also came with the original leaflet also shown on this thread, although a little rougher and showing it's age. I hope you don't mind me adding my copy here, it is a great piece to have for anyone interested in the RMS Lusitania.
    Wilko

RMS Lusitania Medal

RMS Lusitania Medal RMS Lusitania Medal

Greetings all,

Here are a few contemporary and not so contemporary newspapers' articles discussing these medals. Hover your cursor over individual articles in order to view the name and date of the article.

Njoy,

V/r Lance

Double click on individual articles to enlarge.

RMS Lusitania MedalRMS Lusitania MedalRMS Lusitania MedalRMS Lusitania MedalRMS Lusitania MedalRMS Lusitania MedalRMS Lusitania MedalRMS Lusitania MedalRMS Lusitania MedalRMS Lusitania MedalRMS Lusitania Medal

And here's an article and some images of a post-war (Circa 1921) French made variant.

RMS Lusitania MedalRMS Lusitania Medal

Some great documents of the time you've dug up there Lance. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2