Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Royal Navy cap ... WW1?

Article about: Another of my recent acquisitions - a Royal Navy peaked cap. I know nothing about these caps, and so to me the construction seemed rather unusual. There is no padding as such to the cap - ap

It does look US made now you can see the bones of it and Paul's post confirms that.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I purchased it from the US, and it is supposed to have come from the collection of a deceased Canadian collector of British/Canadian Naval items. That is about all I know about it. But thanks for the information anyway.

Hmm i wonder if it was US produced for the Canadian navy?....

?

I am a bit late to this thread.. but I would say the cap is a USN frame cap. As mentioned before typical of such construction. The cap badge is the British WW2 type, also used by the RCN.
    Whether it was a RCN (or RN Officer) posted to the US or acquired during a visit would be interesting to know. Otherwise it is just a US cap that has had a British RN band and badge added.
    Interesting to note the lack of chinstrap and side buttons.

?

Perhaps this thread will be interesting: US naval cap for review.

?

And also this one, showing the wicker band stiffener... Vintage of this USN Officers Khaki Peaked Cap

Its a WW1 era cockade as its smaller than WW2
    . More than likely a put together piece , lack of any other straps that show obvious difference to RN is not a good sign for it

?

I agree with you Rob that it could be a put together cap but I disagree about the device being WW1. I have seen both compact and normal WW1 and WW2 devices. I actually don't think this example is so compact. Also certain common WW1 characteristics are missing (crown colour and anchor) although that is not to say all WW1 had these.

I would say the cap is also WW2 or postwar. A search on the maker may clear thus up.

I appreciate your view but there is a definite style difference though between early and mid 20 th C Cap cockades . The preference being for larger cockades in the ww2 and post war era . Compare the blk and white images of WW1 officers with some WW2 cap badges for sale . The size of the Larel wreath , how it extends is noticeably different . Im not saying both weren't used in WW2 , possibly older stock or personal preference . With Swords I believe its ok to use kings crowned ones today if you have the commission . So even more so with the same kings crown on WW1 and WW2 cockades. Theres little reference material to go on with RN, But fashion changed .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Navy cap ... WW1?   Royal Navy cap ... WW1?  

Royal Navy cap ... WW1?   Royal Navy cap ... WW1?  

Royal Navy cap ... WW1?   Royal Navy cap ... WW1?  

Royal Navy cap ... WW1?  

?

Certainly interesting. Well smaller wreaths are more a characteristic of WW1, but they were not exclusive to that period and vice versa with the larger example to WW2. It depends on dress regulations of course, however like British Officer caps as a whole, style and flare could vary depending on the client and outfitter, which is why there is a variety of style for what is suppose to be a regulated - sealed pattern - item.

Attached is both a "larger" WW1 example

Royal Navy cap ... WW1?

and a compact WW2 (late 1930s) example.

Royal Navy cap ... WW1?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2