Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Russian Mess kit, burner?, and cup

Article about: Russian Mess kit, burner?, and cup

?

Default Russian Mess kit, burner?, and cup

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian Mess kit, burner?, and cup   Russian Mess kit, burner?, and cup  

Russian Mess kit, burner?, and cup   Russian Mess kit, burner?, and cup  

Russian Mess kit, burner?, and cup   Russian Mess kit, burner?, and cup  

nice ww1 Russian mess tin

I like both the messtin and the blow lamp but I don't think the blow lamp is Russian. Primus is a very long standing (19th century) Swedish (now multi-national) company best known for camping stoves etc. They also have produced many patterns of blow lamp like this sold in very many countries over decades. Typically used by the likes of plumbers for "sweating" lead solder joints they have also appeared in miltary field workshop tool kits but never usually in an idividual soldiers gear. Has it got a date on it?

Regards

Mark

PS I forgot to say that the number after the name is the model number which should probably be three digits. Yours looks like 83- but I can't see a third digit in the picture.
    The letter Y underneath is the year code (early 20th century I imagine) so if there is not a year stamp anywhere (some do have this) this letter should be easy to track down.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Here is an image of the writing on the blow lamp, I do not see a date. There is writing in Russian, Swedish and English
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian Mess kit, burner?, and cup   Russian Mess kit, burner?, and cup  

Ok, here's what I understand of this;

Primus is a brand name / trade mark (I believe familiar in the US?) of a variety of vapouriser kerosene (we in UK sometimes say paraffin) stoves, blowlamps etc that originates in Sweden but is now internationally known.

BA Hjorth is the name of a Finnish toolmaker who bought the Primus brand in the early 20th century having already acquired the rights to the Primus Stove. The trade mark and the BA Hjorth trading name still exist as far as I know but since the early '50s have been part of the Bahco Group (I believe they also trade in the US?)

The different languages stamped on the body relate to the fact that Primus products were marketed at that time in areas where those languages were relevant.

I don't see anything that looks like military acceptance marks or nomenclature unless this is the cyrillic script at right angles to the block beneath the PRIMUS logo but we have very good Russian speakers here who might shed light on that.

As I said in my first post, in the absence of a date stamp the letter beneath the Primus No8..(like I say this is the model number and I believe it should be three digits)
    is a year indicator and the letter 'S' should be around the end of the '20s.

I don't think this is miltary issue but that doesn't mean it has not been in military use especially in the early 20th century. It wouldn't be WWI though I am sure.

This ia nice item and Primus products have their own collecting fraternity along with makes like Sievert, Optimus etc so the is a road to follow for more info. I have a cracking Sievert 3 litre blow lamp that belonged to my great grandfather. I don't collect them but it is such a cool thing that I won't part with it especially with a family connection.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Mark,

Thanks so much! this kind of information is exactly why I am a member here. I really know nothing about these types of items but I knew someone here would.