Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

RWF marked button stick

Article about: Picked up today, marked twice RWF for Royal Welsh Fusiliers and with two sets of service numbers, one which has been over stamped, so I assume it was re issued. 16721 & then 36688.

Default RWF marked button stick

Picked up today, marked twice RWF for Royal Welsh Fusiliers and with two sets of service numbers, one which has been over stamped, so I assume it was re issued. 16721 & then 36688.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RWF marked button stick  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I like marked items.

Would it be possible to research the owner/s I wonder?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I like marked items.

Would it be possible to research the owner/s I wonder?

Cheers, Ade.
    As do I Ade. I tried a search on the London Gazette and got hits on both numbers, but none for the RWF. The crossed out number came up for 3 different people, which I have had happen previously. For 36688 I only got one hit to a Williams in the RAMC, so it might be him, but I will never know for certain, though it is a good Welsh name.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

these are the only two I can link to Welsh Regiments.

RWF marked button stickRWF marked button stick

cHEERS, tOM

Ps. Loates died at Salonika, 1917, but I can't see a link to RWF.

Actually, scrap that! I've just seen Loates service number was 36684. It was being picked up in my search of the service number as his previous No. ended 88.

Just a thought, but could it have been re-issued after Michael's demob in 1919? That would explain why I can't find a WW1 medal index card for a RWF soldier with service no. 36688? Might have been an inter-war soldier using it? Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom, CG Micheal looks to be a winner. Thanks for that, very much appreciated. The 2nd number is too short for the RWF during WWII so interwars re issue is most likely IMHO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Elsewhere I found out that the other number was for Geoffrey Lloyd Williams 3rd Reserve Bn RWF & 2nd Garrison Bn RWF. who was discharged as no longer physically fit for war service in 18/7/16 because of Valvular Disease of the Heart (VDH), he enlisted 14/11/15 and never served overseas so had no medals and therefore no MIC. He joined up sometime after Clifford shipped out, so perhaps these were left in barracks as there was no bulling buttons at the front!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RWF marked button stick   RWF marked button stick  

Regards,

Jerry