Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sgt Samuel Dillow 15725 10th Bn RWF

Article about: Bought this 14/15 Star medal from ebay for Sgt Samuel Dillow, D company 10th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers who was wounded on the 17th December 1915 in the front line trenches near Ypres.

Default Sgt Samuel Dillow 15725 10th Bn RWF

Bought this 14/15 Star medal from ebay for Sgt Samuel Dillow, D company 10th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers who was wounded on the 17th December 1915 in the front line trenches near Ypres.

I was lucky to find his wounding was recorded in the 10th Bn RWF war diary. As yet I have not found out when or if he returned to the RWF as I know he later served with the Cheshire regiment.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sgt Samuel Dillow 15725 10th Bn RWF   Sgt Samuel Dillow 15725 10th Bn RWF  

Sgt Samuel Dillow 15725 10th Bn RWF   Sgt Samuel Dillow 15725 10th Bn RWF  

Sgt Samuel Dillow 15725 10th Bn RWF   Sgt Samuel Dillow 15725 10th Bn RWF  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

nice buy Jerry.

Thanks Harry. I was lucky to find him mentioned by name in the war diary. Later in the war only the officers ever get mentioned by name when they get wounded.
    Regards,

Jerry

Welsh Newspapers Online

LETTER from the TRENCHES. Sergeant Sam Dillow, Machine Gun Section, 10th Royal Welsh Fusiliers, writing from somewhere in France to Mr Morris G. Roberts, Advertiser Office, states No doubt you will be pleased to have a line or two to know how things are going on with us up to now, Well I have not much news as they won't let us say where we are and all our letters are censored. We are out of the trenches now resting and are billeted in barns, which are a bit of a luxury after the damp dugouts. When we first went into the tenches we had a good reception by the Huns in the way of shells- Jack Johnsons, Whizz Bangs, and Shrapnel, also plenty of snipers bullets, but I am pleased to say that we had very few loses. Private Harry Dudley, Coesfaen, is with me, also Corporal David Owen, Marine Gardens,they are both alright. Dudley is a bomb- thrower. I have also met Johnnie Williams, Beach Road, the 2 transport driver. I hear from him every week and also get the Advertiser occasionally. I would be greatly obliged if you could get some of the good Barmouth friends to send me a football as we get time to play when we are resting behind the firing line. I have 70 men in my section. I expect we will be going into the trenches again towards the end of the week. I am pleased to see there are a few more enlisting as they will all be wanted. Lord's Derby Scheme and the Khaki Armlets ought to make them roll up. I hope all the Boys that are wounded are getting alright again. Give my kind regards to all friends."
    Regards,

Jerry

Welsh Newspapers Online

Extract

There are at present 36 members of or in some way connected with Caer- salem with the Colours. A Christmas gift was sent by the church to each of them, hence the following letter from Sergt. H. W. Jones, 18th L,B.K,A.R Somewhere in France." Dear Mr Gwynoro Davies,— I beg to acknowledge the magnificient gift which I received this evening, Sunday, Dec. 6th. I am afraid the Censor would not pass my letter of thanks if I were to ( write to you in my native tongue, so I I am forced to do so in English. It is, indeed, a very great pleasure to find, even at this great crisis, the people of Anwyl Caersalem do not torget their children. The happy memories of childhood spent with you all live ever with me" and make me anxious to be Milwr da i lesu Grist" I continually think of the little, song you taught me when in the Band of Hope, and I am going to risk the Censor by writing in Welsh one of the verses: ) Ti fy mab sydd nach crqesi, Rbincof ty dy dad." Ti fy mab sydd wedi croesi, Rhiniog ty dy dad, Cofia am dy hen rieni, Draw sydd yn y wlad Danfon air yn tynycb attynt, I roi hanes am dy belynt, Os bydd angen danfon iddynt, Foddion gwir fwynhad. Oh Mr Davies anwyl fedra i ddim mynd yn, mhellach. Accept my thanks, God bless you for your goodness. You have an idea what a British soldier has to carry on Active Service and every ounce is carefully counted upon before we shoulder the burden, but I will gladly carry this treasured gift, God willing, until I return to Wales. Re- member me warmly to all the friends at Caersalem." jgremain, yours gratefully, WILLIAM. (Late of Aelydon, Barmoutb). France, 19, 12, 1915. Dear Mr Davies,— Many thanks for the handsome gift you sent me from Caersalem. It reached me in the trenches. I- Da iawn oedd ei I gael er mwyn yr I hen amser gynt. We have a Welsh Chaplain with us here, the Rev. Cynddelor Williams, Pen-y- groes. He is untiring in his efforts on behalf of the men. He is Chaplain to all the Nonconformists in the Battalion. He came to our trench the other day and we bad a very pleasant service in a "dug out." We have also had services in barns and anywhere the men have been billetted. There are not many from Barmouth district in this Batt. though a young fellow, who was killed a short time ago, was from Llanbedr. Sergeant Dillow and Dudley, Coes- faen, and myself are the only ones from Y Bermo," Since we came over we have seen a great deal of the horrors and the devastation of this awful war. We have seen towns and villages in absolute ruin and beautiful Churches destroyed. The Germans were in these parts according to the natives in October, 1914. They are not likely to come near this place again, we have them well in hand on this Front. It will be a great blessing when the War is over. We are out of the trenches now for a few days but shall be back there for our Xmas dinner I wish you and Mrs Davies and all the friends at Caersalem a very happy Xmas, a pros- perous and a Peaceful New Year. I remain, yours very respectfully; DAVID OWEN, (Late of Bwlch Vane, Marine Gardnes, BarmouLb. "f
    Regards,

Jerry

Welsh Newspapers Online

Wounded at the Front. Sergeant Sam Dillow, late of Water Street, who is serving with the 10th Royal Welsh Fusiliers in France, has been wounded, and is at present a patient at the Royal Naval Hospital, Sontband-on.Sea.
    Regards,

Jerry

Welsh Newspapers Online

Roll of Honour of those from Barmouth with the clours.

ROLL OF HONOUR. Barmouth Boys who serve their King & Country on Land and Sea. THE NAVY. Lieut.-Commander Edward Griffith, Re. liance House Lieutenant Best (late Lingfield) Lieutenant R. Lloyd (late of Tynycoed) Lieutenant Harold Lowe, Penrallt Lieut. R. Lloyd Lewis (late of Aelvdon) Flight Lieut, R. Hilton Jones, R.N.A.S. Chief Stoker Griffith Richards, The Anchorage. P.O. (1st CI.) Tommy Williams, Beach Road (R N.A.S.) Do. Willie Owen, Craigmynach (do) Do. C. H. Mendham, Mt. Argus (do) Petty Officer R. Williams, Aberamffra LeadingSeaman Thos. Williams,Gwynfa Dick Powell, Llanaber Willie James Rowlands, Riverslea Rowland Rowlands, do. Alfred Price, Enfield House Johnny Owen, BwlchVane,Marine Gdns David W. Humphreys (late of Water St. Robert Jones, Abermaw Terrace Robert Ellis Griffith, Aberamffra Griffith Edwards, Green Bank. Thomas Garnett, Wynnstay House R. Allen, Cambrian Street. William Jones, Penypei (R.N.A.S) THE ARMY Captain D. Oswald Davies, Greenhill Capt. Tudor Jones Lieutenant Reginald Lloyd, Tynycoed LieutenantV. St. G.Hewins, Garreglwyd Lieutenant Wm. Griffith, M.B., late 2, Belle Vue 2nd Lieutenant G. B. Piggott, Fronaig j 2nd Lieutenant M. Buckley I 2nd Lieut. J. B. Menham, Mount Argus 2nd Lieutenant Meirion Williams, (late Police Station.) 2nd Lieutenant C. R. Hughes, Glynhefin Sec-Lieut H. R. H. Dennis, Glenceirn 2nd Lieut. Robt. Scott Vaughton, Bar- mOG' b Junction Sergt.-Major G. Felstead, Brynawel Ter. Sergeant A. C. O'Neil, do. j Sergeant Sergeant WTH. Williams, Liverpool Hse Sergeant Samuel Dillow, Water Street Sergeant John AstJey, Cumberland Hse Sergeant J. H. Lloyd, late Marine Gdns. Sergeant W. H. Jones (late of Aelydon), Sergt. Dick Fuller, Beach Road Sergt. G. L. Booth, Brynawel Ter. Sergt. Bill Strongman, Harboro' House Sergt. Alfred Strongman, do.. Staff Sergeant H. Whitehead, Park Road Staff Sergeant Major W. Jones, Glanaig Corporal Robert Peters, Craig-y-Nos Sergeant Edward Price, Glasfryn'House Corporal Walter Thomas Pugh,Pengraig Corporal Frank Lloyd, 4, Bronaber Ter. Corporal Richard Tank, Victoria Bldgs. Corp. Rhys Pugh,Llys Arfor(Canadians) Lce-Serg Herbert Aspinall, Beach Road Lee.-Corpi. John Williams, Park Road Lce.-Corpl. W. Lyons, Corsygedol Hotel Lee.-Corpl. Robert Williams,WesleyHse Corploral EllisTank, Victoria Bdgs Corporal David Owen, Marine Gardens Lce.-Corpl. Dan Robinson, Bennar Ter. Mjpe-Corpl. Peter Hughes, Relience Hse. Driver George Astley, Cumberland Hse. R. Williams, Liverpool House William Finnigan, Water Street J. Herbert Ingram, Glasfor Terrace H. Wallace Ingram, do. Richard Jones, 2 Marine Terrace John jf. Williams, Beach Road David Davies, Williams' Buildings RobertiIenry Lewis, Brynawel Terrace Edward Thomas, Church Place Robert Lloyd, 2, Mount Pleasant William Francis Jones, Bronygraig Tommy Loxton, Central Buildings Bobbie Lloyd, Victoria Baildings Billie W. Roberts, Advertiser Office Owen Thomas, The Green Garage Humphrey Humphreys, 1 Fronfelen W. B. Griffith, Vulcan Villa John Parry Jones, Glanllyn Tommy Jones, Buxton House Tommy Owen, Snowdon View Phillip Williams, Aberamffra Thomas Evans, Water Street John Jones, Goronwy Terrace Francis Morris, Abermaw Terrace Evan Evans, Arvon View Harry Powell, Llanaber Joe Catberwood Thomas Hugh Jones, Eldon House Hodgeldusou, Marine Hotel I John Rees Edwards, Morben Villa I William Edward Morris, Glyndwr John Morris, do Lewis Edwards (late of Penygraig) Willie Ellis, Water Street Evan Jones, Llwyndu Samuel Owen, St. Georges Lc-Corp Lewis Davies. Williams' Bldgs John Thomas Roberts, Albion House Wm. Richard Lewis, Glanywerydd Owen Evan Owen, 11, Marine Terrace David Griffith, Cambrian Street Jack Davies, Bwlch Cottage R. H. Roberts, Penlan House Robert Francis Morris, Tanyfedw Charlie Scholz (late Wesley Place) Evan Pierce Jones (late Penygraig) William Evans, Glandwr Lodge David Thomas Evans, do. Tommy C. Williams, Tygwyn Bidgs. William Davies, Williams' Buildings John Edwards, Llwynon Archie Fox (late Aelfor Villas) William Morris, Tanyfedw John Garnett, Mount Windsor Owen Thomas Morris, Tanyfedw. David Ellis Humphreys, Gibraltar Ter. Alfred Smith Thomas, Glandwr Cottage Hughie Williams, Tegfan, Princes Av. John Lloyd, Barmouth Junction. Thomas O'Mara, Doctors Buildings. William Haines, Arthog John Parry, Glanmawddach C. Vaughan, Glandwr Mill George Bishop, Lion Hotel Chas. S. Walker, Corsygedol Hotel F. Prewer, Brynmawddacb E. Powell, do Idwal Wynne, Arthog Harold Dudley, Barmoutb Hotel Willie Llovd, Tynycoed Buildings David Richards, Leamington House. D. W. Jones, Gwalia Hotel John E. Rowlands, Rivers Lea Joe Whitehead, Park Road James Thos. Jones (late Water St.) John Llewelyn Evans, Fronoleu Farm D. I. Rowlands,Cambrian Establishment David Pugh, The Green Garage Evan Pierce Jones, Lawrenny Lodge G. Vernon Price, Enfield. F. A. Price, do. Harry Jeffs, Arthog Hall Hotel Eilis Roberts, St. Georges Tommy Roberts, do Llewelyn Davies, Tynycoed David Thomas Brooks, do Harry Dudley, Coesfaen Willie Owen, St. Georges David Hughes, Arvon View Walter Chas. Miles, Green Garage John Charles Crabbe, Water Street James Jones, Boots, Talydon Hotel Ellis Price Jones, Beehive Robert Lloyd, late Marine Gardens. David Griffiths, 1, Aelfor Terrace Robert Thomas, Church Place John Henry Jones, Tainewddion John M. Evans, late Wynnstay House David Davies (late of Glandwr Lodge) Sapper William Watkins, 3, Penybryn Sapper J. R. Jones, Manchester House Robt. Edward Griffith, Vulcan Villa John Jones, Barmouth Railway Station Hubert Henry Hainge, Barmoutb Junet JohnErieGriffith,VulcanVilla(Canadians Bennett J. Griffiths, do (Canadians) G. W. Price, Glasfryn (Canadians) Iorwerth Price Jones, Gwynfa Cottage (Canadians) Gomer Thomas, Victoria Place (Austra- lians) Arthur LI. Thomas, Do. (Australians) Arthur Wilson Roberts, 9, Porkington (Australians) D. H. Allen, Cambrian Street. John Alun Evans (late of Barmouth) Willie Williams, School House Ernest G.Vaughton, Barmouth Junction Robert Arthur Jones (late of Vron Dairy Rowland Roberts, Water Street Fraser Farrer, late Talydon Hotel William Alun Evans, Djiafon." Morris Owen Davies, (late Penygraig) Evan Jones, Tanycoed cottage W. R. Owen, 2, Tygwyn Buildings R. E. Roberts, The Grange 0. Prys Hughes, Glynhefin (2nd Rho- desian Regt.) Albert Morgan O'Neill, Brynawel Ter. Evan Lewis, Brynawel Terrace David Jones, late Panorama Mineral Works David Thomas Davies, Williams Bldgs Clifford Jones, 4, Marine Terrace Charlie Davies, Pantllan Laundry William Jones, Glanllyn Charlie Coleman, 5, Bronaber Terrace John Llewelyn Edwards, St. Ann's David Jones, Eldon House Evan Llewelyn Evans, Pengraig Stanley Jones, Beach Road.
    Regards,

Jerry

Welsh Newspapers Online

An earlier in the war item where he is mentioned as being a drill instructor so he must have seen previous service either with the regulars, terriers or the militia/vols units.

Drill Instructor.—On Monday, Mr Samuel Dillow, Water Street, left for Wrexham, where he will be stationed for some time as a drill instructor.
    Regards,

Jerry

Also this,

Cymru 1914 - Tuesday 10th of December, 1918

The following Corwen soldiers are home on leave this week:—Sergt Sam Dillow, Bron Berwyn Sergt. Tom Hughes, Royal Oak Private William Platt, London Square Corpl. R. W. Jones, London Road;
    Corpl. L. E. Rees (late Reliance House) Private H. B. Platt. London Sq uare, arrived home from France this (Tuesday) morning. Sergt. Beadle, Coronation Cottage, is home for a few days leave.

and this which relates to the same I think but mentions the local VTC.

Cymru 1914 - Tuesday 5th of June, 1917

CORWEN MILITARY NOTES. The Adjutant of the Merionethshire V.T.C. (Lieut. J. F. Kirby) visited Corwen for the inspection of the V.T.C, on Wednesday, and expressed himself as being very pleased with what he had seen.
    Sergt John Williams concluded his course of instruction to the V.T.C. on Thursday night, and he was heartily thanked for his good work by the Commandant (Dr. H. E. Walker), Sergt" Ross, Corpls. R. J. Jones and R. Meyrick Roberts.^
    The following members of the V.T.C. have been promoted a^follows Pte. H. R. Jones, The Terrace, Corwen, to be Sergeant; Ptes. R. Meyrick Roberts and R. James Jones to be Corporals Ptes. W. B. Birchill, Rug Gardens, and D. R: Morris, Liverpool Terrace, to be Lance-Corporals.
    The Commandant (Dr. Walker) and Lieut. T. Lloyd Jones, together with the above N.C.O.'s will proceed to Park Hall Camp, Oswestry, for a course of instruction shortly. Sergt-Major Fred Pepper, formerly Col- Sergt Instructor of C Company, l/7th R.W.F., at Welshpool, and
    who afterwards served In Egypt with the Lancashire Fusiliers, has been appointed Instructor to the Merioneth. Volunteer Regiment.
    The following soldiers were at Corwen on leave during the week-end :Sergt Instructor Sam Dillow, Gaer View Corpl Lewis, Lance- Corpl John Vinton, Gunner Ivor Davies, Ptes Willie Roberts, William Parkes and Gwilym Hughes.
    The kit-bags, belts, and other equipment together with another case of rifles has arrived at Corwen Armoury this week for the use of V.T.C;
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast