MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Silly, but opinions on wearing a US WW1 jacket?

Article about: I tend to disagree with most of the replies, as I wear an original WWI US tunic when I do presentations, it has no history, and I bought it new in 1967 from the US Army stores through a loca

Default Re: Silly, but opinions on wearing a US WW1 jacket?

I tend to disagree with most of the replies, as I wear an original WWI US tunic when I do presentations, it has no history, and I bought it new in 1967 from the US Army stores through a local Army surplus store. But it is getting more difficult to find the new unissued ones, as they were taken from Army stocks half a century ago.
    Best
    Gus

I would not wear it. It's purpose now is historical and educational, not for use re-enacting, or any other means. Remember, these were military uniforms, worn by people who served and sacrificed. These aren't fashion accessories. That's just how I view them.
    Attached Images Attached Images Silly, but opinions on wearing a US WW1 jacket? 

my own personal opinion would be that it would be alright to say try it on perhaps get a photo of yourself in it but not something i would wear to say the grocery story for that maybe ww2 more likely a korean war or veitnam war jacket just cuz they are younger so as was said you don't have to fear the seams or threads bursting

As you say, to carefully try it on out of curiosity is one thing, but to wear around a century old piece of clothing is not especially a great idea. That, and I hardly would consider it much of a sign of respect to the original owner to wear their uniform to play around in as some sort of costume. There are plenty of superb replica sources out there for purposes like this.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2