Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Similarities between WW1 and WW2 for Soldiers in Battle?

Article about: Well, as the topic states, I am curious what the similarities between the two World Wars were, from a soldiers perspective. I have found a few, but I am sure some of you know a lot about thi

Pelorus
    ?

Default Similarities between WW1 and WW2 for Soldiers in Battle?

Well, as the topic states, I am curious what the similarities between the two World Wars were, from a soldiers perspective.
    I have found a few, but I am sure some of you know a lot about this and can enlighten me.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Default Re: Similarities between WW1 and WW2 for Soldiers in Battle?

I'm unsure what you actually mean. But soldiers certainly got shot and shelled in a similar way. And they still do now.

?

Hi Pelorus.

First off, welcome to the forums.
    Now onto your question about similarities between the two wars from the soldiers perspective.
    It all depends on what you mean by similarities. Are you talking about the methods/tactics used, the weapon types, the uniforms? We could go on and on.
    With all due respect, this is one time I feel that you really need to be very specific.

Good luck

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Pelorus
    ?

Thanks for the warm Welcome Jimpy, indeed appreciated.

Sorry for not being more specific, actually I would like to know, (although it might be too much to cover for anyone), most of the similarities since I found them more interesting then the differences which are more obvious, from my point of view anyway.
    I've read a few books on the matter, but it didn't really satisfy my curiosity.

Did the Allies/Axis use similar tactics/methods/ways of thinking of comparing the two wars?
    Any similarities when it comes to weapons etc?
    Any other similarities between the soldiers when comparing WW1 and 2?

Sorry for not being more specific, I do not really know in which direction to point you guys at. I would appreciate any info, it doesn't need to be in details, a broader view of it would be of highest appreciation.

Again,
    Thanks in advance

Cheers

Your first examination should be of the tactics used in the 1914/18 war. From this you will see how tactics evolved. People often think of the great war as just trench warfare and this is far from the truth. In the initial stage of the conflict all the armies conducted a free-flowing type of war. I suppose you could say that the opposing armies fought themselves to a standstill.

This resulted in opposing sides digging in (trench warfare). The german trenches were always better constructed than the british. As the germans were determined to hold on to the ground they had captured, whereas the british took the view that their trenches were only temporary - as they intended to re-take the ground the germans held. From this you can see the differing views between the opposing sides. It was only towards the end of the war that the fighting became more fluid again.

The last war also had its period of opposing sides entrenched during the so-called 'phony war.' To cover the subject of differing tactics is probably beyond the scope of this forum - it would take up far too much space. You would be better off studying books on the subject.

Harry,