Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Some Boer War Items

Article about: Hi everyone, thought I would show a few Boer War items. For those of you unfamiliar with this conflict, this is the war fought between the British Empire and The Boers (Dutch speaking settle

Default Some Boer War Items

Hi everyone, thought I would show a few Boer War items. For those of you unfamiliar with this conflict, this is the war fought between the British Empire and The Boers (Dutch speaking settlers) in South Africa between 1899-1902. Before being somewhat eclipsed by WW1, it was considered a major conflict in Britain and there are various large monuments around the country to those killed.

Seen here is the chocolate tin, with contents made by Cadbury's, sent to British troops by Queen Victoria in 1900. Also an unopened emergency ration tin, containing beef and Cocoa. Also a South Africa issue soldier's New Testament, two stereo viewing photos of British Troops, and gift cards from South Africa.

Any comments welcome.

Doug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some Boer War Items   Some Boer War Items  

Some Boer War Items   Some Boer War Items  

Some Boer War Items   Some Boer War Items  

Some fine items Douglas.

For what was for Britain and her allies, it is a surprise that we don't see more 2nd Boer War items posted here. Perhaps like Korea it was a forgotten war.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Was a long while back now and assorted stuff had to survive 2 World Wars and various hoons-there was a thread a while back about a Boer war memorial statue that was stolen for metal scrap value a few years ago in Britain...

Some really nice items you have there. I am always happy when people post stuff from the Boer War, I've always had an interest in the later Victorian conflicts like the Zulu War, Anglo-Afghan War, 1st and 2nd Anglo-Boer War, I also try to collect to the Boer War and have two khaki uniforms with their original trousers, but anything to that conflict is very hard to come by. Most chocolate tins I've seen are all dented and have no contents, or perhaps with old dust of what used to be chocolate. Yours in really nice condition with its original chocolate! Have you ever considered trying one of the chocolates? Ha ha, just kidding. Super nice items.

-Jamie

mpw
    ?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Was a long while back now and assorted stuff had to survive 2 World Wars and various hoons-there was a thread a while back about a Boer war memorial statue that was stolen for metal scrap value a few years ago in Britain...
    I think that may have been the 5ft (1.5m) bronze statue of a soldier was taken from Nuneaton's Riversley Park in 2006.

A small village near me had their WW1 bronze statue stolen by thieves . Luckily this one was recovered from the scrap yard before it had been melted down....

The Boer War is particularly remembered in New Zealand. Almost every town has a memorial to local soldiers killed during that conflict. It was the first overseas deployment of New Zealand troops ever and is remembered in a way the Australians remember Gallipoli (though Kiwi troops were there as well). With South African immigrants moving to NZ in recent years the perspective as a patriotic war may change. A guy from South Africa said to me recently "Of course, the British invented the concentration camp..."

I have had a Boer War Collection come into work today. Not unpacked it yet...
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Love to see that one.
    cheers
    Kris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

The British "invented" the concentration camp all right. Tens of thousands of South African women and children died as a result of being cooped up in the British camps. But I am am convinced that the object was not the demise of these persons. Bad hygiene and knowledge thereof was a major factor. Later in that war the conditions improved. The British are to blame for neglicence, not murder.

The Third Reich created concentration camps solely to exterminate their adversaries.

This difference should be clear to all.

Emile