Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

split WWI pair reunited by the strangest chance!

Article about: By a strange coincidence a single medal I was bidding on and another I watching turned out to be the two halves of a split pair named to a Corporal in the Monmouthshire regiment. I managed t

Default split WWI pair reunited by the strangest chance!

By a strange coincidence a single medal I was bidding on and another I was watching turned out to be the two halves of a split pair named to a Corporal in the Monmouthshire regiment. I managed to buy both even though they were listed by two different sellers in different parts of the country, strange that both came up for sale in the same week on the bay. Both are stiil to arrive so the two sellers pics for now.

I wanted to add at least one medal to the Mons to my collection and getting the pair is really cool, but what makes it even better for me is that after the Mons he then served with the South wales borderers and after that he served with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers as well. Only missing the Welsh regiment to have the full set really. I have his MIC as that is free from Ancestry but I do not have any more on him so far. The Mons regimetn had previously been a TF Bn of the SWB so moving to them was quite commonly done and also it is known that a number of them then moved to the 10th Bn RWF, so perhaps that is who he went to.

The Victory medal has the wrong ribbon on it and the British War Medal has no ribbon, though for the latter I have some lengths of original ribbon which I recently purchased.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture split WWI pair reunited by the strangest chance!   split WWI pair reunited by the strangest chance!  

split WWI pair reunited by the strangest chance!   split WWI pair reunited by the strangest chance!  

split WWI pair reunited by the strangest chance!   split WWI pair reunited by the strangest chance!  

split WWI pair reunited by the strangest chance!  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

MAP
    ?

What are the chances. Its great when we can bring the pieces back together for history sake instead of just looking at these items for their monetary value like many do.....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Well done Jerry !

This is actually a great feat to try and accomplish,
    as there were millions of both awards. Perhaps
    they were only recently separated ? Nice to
    see reunited medals........
    Regards,

Steve.

Brilliant!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Nice one Jerry, I think that might be your lottery win for 2015.

Tony

mpw
    ?

It was meant to be. Kismet!

?

I only found him on the medal roll. Cpl / AQMS Goodall.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture split WWI pair reunited by the strangest chance!  

Incredible! what are the chances

Thanks all and especially Tony as knowing his Bn with the bords helps and that he was acting quarter master sergeant with them is interesting and might make him more likely to appear in regimental records.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

that's great Jerry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast