Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Tank Shells (I believe)

Article about: Hi there, I have in my possesion 2 tank shells with embossing. I was wondering if anyone could possibly value them. I have uploaded photos and will answer any further questions required if n

EdJRobinson
    ?

Default Tank Shells (I believe)

Hi there,

I have in my possesion 2 tank shells with embossing. I was wondering if anyone could possibly value them. I have uploaded photos and will answer any further questions required if need be.

Thanks

Default Re: Tank Shells (I believe)

Quote by EdJRobinson View Post
    Hi there,

I have in my possesion 2 tank shells with embossing. I was wondering if anyone could possibly value them. I have uploaded photos and will answer any further questions required if need be.

Thanks
    Hello there, What you have here are German WW1 77-mm 'Whizz-bang' shell casings. They are very easy to distinguish by the case markings known as headstamps. I have a few of these cases in my collection though none decorated into Trench Art like yours. As for a price for these things a lot depends on which battle area they came from etc, Ypres and Paschendale for example. As a pair they have to be worth minimum of £50 and i reckon if they went to auction you'd want to start then at £40-£50 certainly no less as these things are pieces of history. Either way you can find more info on the web on the German WW1 77mm artillery pieces. They may have been relatively small calibre but they were devastating if you happened to have one of these drop in to your trench or catch you in the open. They were nicknamed 'Whizzbangs' due to the whizz sound they made when fired then the bang from their impact. Hoipe this helps out a little. Best regards, Tim.

EdJRobinson
    ?

Thanks for taking the time to reply Tim. I appreciate all the info you have given me.

Thanks again!

Ed

Hi Ed, and welcome to the forum!

In addition to Tim's correct answer, a bit more info can be found here on the forum:

German 77mm shell

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by EdJRobinson View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Tim. I appreciate all the info you have given me.

Thanks again!

Ed
    Thats no problem at all Ed and glad to be of help to you as its frustrating as hell when you need info on a particular case and you cant seem to narrow any down. The good thing is there is plenty on the net on the 77mm guns used by Germany in WW1. There are two 77mm cases available one is a short version the other long and they often come up on car-boot sales and in antique shops, but your decorated ones are obviously bit more special. Either way glad i could help out. Regards, Tim.