Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Are these hate belts?

Article about: I have of these belts. Are they hate or survenir belts? Thought you might like them. Belt 1

William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Michael,

Thank you for your assistance! Your willingness to help others is a great asset to this Forum!

Mart

I dare say that the title added to the picture is relatively modern compared to the age of the picture. Although there might be hatred shown to opposing troops in the heat of battle - and immediately afterwards, it was often the case that victors and vanquished got on extremely well together once the dust of battle had settled. As I have mentioned before when this topic has been aired, I have never known these souvenir belts to be referred to as 'hate belts' in this country.

Well..the main "inventor" of the term "Hate Belt" was, of course, Norm Flayderman and he sold many of them to collectors over the years. Being an American, the term could therefore be basically an American one.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

These souvenir belts have long been known as hate belts, there are various stories behind them, but many were collected by the men themselves from their mates, the last tommy Harry Patch mentions getting badges and/or buttons from other soldiers.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by AIF View Post
    Hate belt is a term I "hate" lol. I have noticed it being used over the past several years usually by Americans collectors. Now looking at this one I'd say it was made post WW2 or at least had extra stuff added then. For instance in the first photo I see 2 Australian buttons, a copper AMF button with the map of Australia on it as well as a plastic great coat button with Australian military forces on it, both of these are WW2 issue. But in the second picture I see an Australian collar sized rising sun badge as well as a larger hat sized rising sun. Both of those are English made WW1 examples which were never worn in WW2. I am leaning more towards it being been put together post WW2.

Cheers
    Luke.
    All mounted on a 1914 Pattern brace (cross strap) a rare thing.

MAP
    ?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3