Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet

Article about: A close up of Fred in his AFS unifrom. This photo is interesting to me as it illustrates the American Field Service uniform in transition. Fred is wearing a US made M1917 uniform with French

Default Re: The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet

Wow....!!! This is the type of content I think of when I dream of finding a treasure chest. All of the small items, and mementos really add so much on a personal level. I think the VM and the walnut lighter are the two items that stand out the most to me.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Wow....!!! This is the type of content I think of when I dream of finding a treasure chest. All of the small items, and mementos really add so much on a personal level. I think the VM and the walnut lighter are the two items that stand out the most to me.
    Thanks Steve, I feel the same way. For me, the paper work (which I haven't posted,,yet) is one of the really interesting surprises about this group. There is some art-work as well that remained with the family (that I hope to some day get as well) that is really, really cool and further tells Fred's story.

Fred kept a lot of AFS bulletins and Reserve Mallet paperwork. Here are some examples.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet   The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet  

The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet   The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet  

Quote by Croix de Guerre View Post
    Thanks Steve, I feel the same way. For me, the paper work (which I haven't posted,,yet) is one of the really interesting surprises about this group. There is some art-work as well that remained with the family (that I hope to some day get as well) that is really, really cool and further tells Fred's story.

Fred kept a lot of AFS bulletins and Reserve Mallet paperwork. Here are some examples.
    Some of the AFS bulletins,,they continue up into the 1930's (Fred was apparently active in the AFS veterans meetings.)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet   The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet  

The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet   The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet  

Among Fred's German souvenirs was this gas mask. In of itself, it is just a plain old mask although in better than average shape. However, it does have a feature I have never seen before. The two filters (the one on the mask and the spare) still have the paper covers with a metal pull-ring over the bottom air intake. I've never seen that before, in addition, the spare filter still has the threaded cap cover. Pretty cool I think. This is the kind of thing that doesn't survive.

Here are a few more things from the group. If I'm posting too much, let me know and I'll stop.

Some of Fred's Sgt. stripes and his 5 stripe overseas chevrons!!

Fred's dog tags; some bits of shrapnel and his Reserve Mallet shoulder patch.

Fred's overseas capswith Motor Transport Corps insignia

Close-ups of the bars on the Victory Medal and the ribbon.

Details of the American Field Service Insignia.

Note the French newspaper backing.

wow what a wonderfull group full of histroy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast