Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The two trunk-uniform grouping of Lewis C. Gilger; American Field Service SSU 69

Article about: It's a dream ! to see that kind of history have been kept in that state wow! simply wow ! Thanks for sharing it with us ! Frenchy

Default Re: The two trunk-uniform grouping of Lewis C. Gilger; American Field Service SSU 69

It's a dream ! to see that kind of history have been kept in that state wow! simply wow !

Thanks for sharing it with us !

Frenchy

?

Default Re: The two trunk-uniform grouping of Lewis C. Gilger; American Field Service SSU 69

Excellent!

Adler

?

WOW !!! Great grouping !! Cann't be many like this around . Do you know how many served with the AFS ? Have you ever looked up the brothers in the Ohio Rosters of WWI troops ?
    Thank You for showing this Great grouping !!
    Dave

Quote by davekj View Post
    WOW !!! Great grouping !! Cann't be many like this around . Do you know how many served with the AFS ? Have you ever looked up the brothers in the Ohio Rosters of WWI troops ?
    Thank You for showing this Great grouping !!
    Dave
    Thanks for the kind words Dave. There were about 2000 men that served in the AFS from 1914 to 1917. Yes, I have looked them up,,I have researched both Lewis and Carrol quite extensively. Carrol stayed in France and enlisted in the US Army, serving in USAAS SSU 638. He recieved the Croix de Guerre with two bronze stars. Here is a picture of William Carrol Gilger in his AFS uniform.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The two trunk-uniform grouping of Lewis C. Gilger; American Field Service SSU 69  

?

Thank You for answering . I have never researched the USAAS . It would be great if you could get his brothers uniforms also . That would be something . I Thank You for all the info and the pictures you have posted ! I feel that I have learned quite a bit from your posting !!!
    Dave .

Quote by davekj View Post
    Thank You for answering . I have never researched the USAAS . It would be great if you could get his brothers uniforms also . That would be something . I Thank You for all the info and the pictures you have posted ! I feel that I have learned quite a bit from your posting !!!
    Dave .
    Sadly to say that Carrol's uniform "went west" a long time ago but his descendants have his decorations and a wonderful collection of paperwork and photos. They were kind enough to share some copies with me and there is a remote chance that someday I might be able to reunite these two brothers artifacts. That would make a heck of a display wouldn't it!

Quote by Croix de Guerre View Post
    Sadly to say that Carrol's uniform "went west" a long time ago but his descendants have his decorations and a wonderful collection of paperwork and photos. They were kind enough to share some copies with me and there is a remote chance that someday I might be able to reunite these two brothers artifacts. That would make a heck of a display wouldn't it!
    A photo of William Carrol Gilger (far right, third row) with USAAS Section 638, just before they crossed into Belgium in 1918. Note many of the former American Field Service men are still wearing thier AFS drivers hats or AFS hat badges. They were very proud of their previous service before the US entered the war.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The two trunk-uniform grouping of Lewis C. Gilger; American Field Service SSU 69  
    Last edited by Croix de Guerre; 02-28-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Tom,

I know your passion for the AFS runs deep, and this is a incredibly rare grouping. I hadn't realized how rare and for the most part, how overlooked this area of WWI history is.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Tom,

I know your passion for the AFS runs deep, and this is a incredibly rare grouping. I hadn't realized how rare and for the most part, how overlooked this area of WWI history is.
    Thanks Steve. I appreciate your compiments. Yeah I was minding my own business until I stumbled into this group. I was perfectly content with plain old patched tunics and then WHAM! I had no idea how extensive this group was when it was first offered to me. Two trunks with a total of 7 uniforms, 2 overcoats, two pair of shoes, sam browne belt, two leather leaggings (one French made), French helmet, American helmet, visor cap, shaving kit, eating kit, Wilson sleeping mattress, misc personal items, photos, paperwork, French gas mask canister, French haversack, French cup, son-in-service banners, etc, etc, etc,,,and most importantly THE STORY of Lewis's service and life.
    Last edited by Croix de Guerre; 02-28-2010 at 10:07 PM.

gilgergreatgrandchild
    ?

Very nice photos of my Grandpa Carrol!!! Great-Grandfather to be exact. I can only assume You may have been in contact with my uncles Richard, or Larry about his war items. I spent a fine afternoon, or two in Edina, Minnesota(not Wisconsin as others have thought) eating sandwiches while oiling knives, and bayonets. Listening to stories of each, and every piece of memorabilia. I spent one entire day in his home with the women upstairs doing a bit of storytelling of their own. So it was Carrol and I in the basement. Going over time encapsulated. And can honestly say that my Great-Grandfather has held quite a strong position in my thoughts, and choices. especially in regards to my life--long military service. Some items I remember were Arty shells turned into lighters. Austrian-Hungarian necklaces, and id tags. Stained glass, and lead fragments from a church he had been inside waiting for in-direct fire to cease.

I must say that this has been quite shocking to me, as I was just watching the History channel, and heard the word VERDUN, and Ambulance Service. Of course I was jolted as if by electricity! No longer was I 34, and a grown man, and SGT in the US army. I was 8 years old, and back with "Granpa Carrol" in that basement enjoying Tea-Sandwiches, and stories. It was a fine day. Thank You for catapult me there. It was a fine time.

I was indeed also fortunate enough to be there a week beofre my Great-Grandfather went to sleep forever, and was released of these earthly ties. I was a young 19 years old, and a proud Marine in 1996. I had met a great gal( now my wife of 10 years), and was going to see my Great-Gramps, whom I hadn't seen being so-much removed from family(divorced parents handing off of children). He was resting until He saw me in uniform, at which time at 101 years of age He did quite suddenly spring out of bed, and stand to attention, and salute me. I shall never forget how proud of us both I was that day, or of how I cried, and tried not to fumble my words at his funeral at St MArks the next week.

As I said then, I shall say again Granpa Carrol. I love You, and Semper Fidelis.

Timothy Patrick McNeely
    Son of Carolyn Margaret Wiesner
    Daughter of Georgiana Gilger
    Daughter of William Carrol Gilger

Formerly of Ohio, Forever Resting in Minnesota's quite land.

I have a few items of Carrols if You were interested in viewing them. If so. you may contact me @:

timothy.p.mcneely@us.army.mil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2