Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Tyneside Scottish glengarry and badge ... 1915 ?

Article about: Recently purchased this Tyneside Scottish Glengarry cap . The badge is i think known as the second pattern . It is brooch pin backed . Any comments welcome

Default Tyneside Scottish glengarry and badge ... 1915 ?

Recently purchased this Tyneside Scottish Glengarry cap . The badge is i think known as the second pattern . It is brooch pin backed . Any comments welcome
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tyneside Scottish glengarry and badge ... 1915 ?   Tyneside Scottish glengarry and badge ... 1915 ?  

Tyneside Scottish glengarry and badge ... 1915 ?   Tyneside Scottish glengarry and badge ... 1915 ?  

Default Re: Tyneside Scottish glengarry and badge ... 1915 ?

Rob,

your Glengarry may date to post WW1. WW1 Glengarry's tended to be made with a leather band BUT this was not universal and some were made in the style of yours. check out this french website for some good pics of original Glengarrys.

les "Glengarry"

regards

Mark

Thanks for the nice Link . The French do the Militaria hobby credit and our best WW1 references are theirs !
    Note the leather band is only seen on the cm high type for diced caps . The type with inch high sweatband , i think known as gros grain is always material as far as ive encountered .

Rob,

As I said leather band not a universal feature but I think more associated with WW1. Ill post some pics of mine later.

Mark

Navy blue Glengarry, black tassels, red torrie and even the correct broached 1915 2nd pattern badge and the black silk/cotton(?) band around the edge. It's identical to the 1 i own. I know mine is 100% correct because it was my great Grandads who was kIA serving with the 1st TS in 1916. Nice item

Tynesider
    ?

Rob, having owned and collected to the TS for more years than I dare to mention it certainly looks authentic. THe 2nd pattern badge should have a brooch pin, the latters used lugs as they came from a different manufacturer.
    Nice find.
    Martin