Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

U.S. 1918 Trench Knife Authentic?

Article about: Hello all, I'm currently working out the details of a trade with a gentleman regarding this knife. Initially it looked good but after getting some more detailed images it's unfortunately loo

Default U.S. 1918 Trench Knife Authentic?

Hello all,

I'm currently working out the details of a trade with a gentleman regarding this knife. Initially it looked good but after getting some more detailed images it's unfortunately looking rather suspect, especially with the scabbard and better detail on the stamping/forging. Would any of the more experienced collectors mind checking it out and weighing in on this?

Many thanks in advance.

Mike

U.S. 1918 Trench Knife Authentic?U.S. 1918 Trench Knife Authentic?U.S. 1918 Trench Knife Authentic?U.S. 1918 Trench Knife Authentic?U.S. 1918 Trench Knife Authentic?

Greetings Mike,

No, your feelings of suspect are quite correct. What you have posted is a reproduction and a pretty butchered about one at that. Go here The U.S. M1918 Mk. I Trench Knife Thread. and review post #6 for how a period correct/genuine L.F.&C. Mk. I M1918 Trench Knife should appear. See what else he may have to trade (something else may be real). You are correct too on the scabbard being dodgy as well, it too is a new-made item. Pictured below, I have posted a very recent solid-knuckle fake for your additional perusal, but even it is a better looking fake than the one your questioning. BTW, great use of the forum before you got stuck with a dud!

V/r Lance

U.S. 1918 Trench Knife Authentic?