Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

An unexpected surprise! My Great Grandfather's WWI Medals!

Article about: Alright I might try my luck with him. Thanks Joe Also, I might be wrong, but is the Vittorio Veneto cross and 50th anniversary medal supposed to come with a certificate of some sort? If so w

Default An unexpected surprise! My Great Grandfather's WWI Medals!

Two months ago, I made my yearly trip to Italy. I had never heard any family military history, so I assumed there was nothing to report. On one of the last days of my trip, I decided to ask my Great Aunt if she knew of any relatives who had served in the military AND if we had any photos, medals, etc. belonging to these family members.

To my surprise, she said "SI!" she said I could have a medal that belonged to my Great Grandfather... BUT unfortunately she couldn't find it before my vacation ended.

Luckily, my dad made his yearly trip just after mine and he was able to help her find the medal. He literally JUST returned home from his trip... and It turns out that the 1 medal was actually THREE medals!

These medals are now in my possession and will be cherished! I hope to do some research on my Great Grandfather's service and display these medals with a photo of him in his military uniform.

An unexpected surprise! My Great Grandfather's WWI Medals!An unexpected surprise! My Great Grandfather's WWI Medals!An unexpected surprise! My Great Grandfather's WWI Medals!An unexpected surprise! My Great Grandfather's WWI Medals!An unexpected surprise! My Great Grandfather's WWI Medals!An unexpected surprise! My Great Grandfather's WWI Medals!

The medal "made from the bronze of our nemesis" has an Italian WWI Victory Medal ribbon sewn onto it... technically not correct, but I intend to keep it like this because I assume my Great Grandpa did this for a reason... I'm not exactly sure what the cross shaped medal is all about... the mini medal is obviously a commemorative 50th Anniversary medal...

Default Re: An unexpected surprise! My Great Grandfather's WWI Medals!

Congrats, the best and most exciting items to get in my opinion are from family members.

The cross is the 'Ordine Di Vittorio Veneto'.........

Order of Vittorio Veneto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Italian Medals
    Regards,

Steve.

I just read that the 50th Anniversary medal is made of 5grams of solid gold!

- - Updated - -

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    The cross is the 'Ordine Di Vittorio Veneto'.........

Order of Vittorio Veneto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Very interesting!

After reading that wiki article, I wonder where my Great Grandfather's "Valor Militare" medal is...? Also, why is his WWI Victory medal ribbon on the medal for military service...? Where is his WWI victory medal!? Family mysteries!

Quote by AmericanKraut View Post
    Congrats, the best and most exciting items to get in my opinion are from family members.
    Definitely! I am trying to research his WWI service. If anyone knows of a way for me to do this, I'd really appreciate it!

Also, I'd love to acquire a WWI Italian Adrian helmet to pair with his medals!

Here is a picture I have of when we visited his grave in Petilia Policastro, KR, Italia:
    An unexpected surprise! My Great Grandfather's WWI Medals!

Joe,

Try a google search of Italian Army records.

I had a friend use:

Italian Military Records

With good results only its pricey.

Joe Sweeney

Quote by Joe Sweeney View Post
    Joe,

Try a google search of Italian Army records.

I had a friend use:

Italian Military Records

With good results only its pricey.

Joe Sweeney
    Thanks, Joe! I actually filled out that form and submitted it this morning. Still waiting to hear back... we shall see. I also had a friend and colleague use this service. He said it took forever, but they eventually produced satisfactory results.

good luck to you, please update us when the records come in the mail.

Quote by medalman90 View Post
    good luck to you, please update us when the records come in the mail.
    I definitely will! I hate waiting, so I'm very anxious about this!

Still waiting on the research...

In the mean time, these arrived from Italy!

An unexpected surprise! My Great Grandfather's WWI Medals!An unexpected surprise! My Great Grandfather's WWI Medals!

This grouping of my Great Grandfather's medals is shaping up nicely, indeed!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast