Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown WW1 Tanker's Helmet?

Article about: Hi all. I have just been watching a documentary on the battle of Cambrai, and of course there was a lot of footage of tanks. This scene caught my eye however. It shows a group of British sol

Default Unknown WW1 Tanker's Helmet?

Hi all. I have just been watching a documentary on the battle of Cambrai, and of course there was a lot of footage of tanks. This scene caught my eye however. It shows a group of British soldiers walking past the camera with a tank and with them is this chap with what to me is an odd piece of headgear. I have tried to show it as best I can although it is on the TV. Does anyone know what this was? Possibly a short lived experiment?

Any thoughts appreciated as always.

Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown WW1 Tanker's Helmet?   Unknown WW1 Tanker's Helmet?  

Here's a bit of info on another forum, so some pic's are restricted to members but there's enough to get you going. Apparently introduced in 1916 to tankers and members of the MGC, they were soon withdrawn in favour of the Brodie helmet as crews bailing out were often mistaken for Germans with disastrous results.....

British leather tank helmets... can anyone help ? - Equipment - Great War Forum

Regards, Ned.

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for that Ned. And excellent link. Would love to own one, but I think I'd probably have more chance of getting struck twice by lightning and winning the lottery in the same day. Cheers.