Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US AEF uniform

Article about: Hi Guys , I was wondering if I could have some input on this uniform as it is a bit of a new direction for me. Everything looks good to me except the M1917 breeches have been cut off( or sho

Default US AEF uniform

Hi Guys ,
    I was wondering if I could have some input on this uniform as it is a bit of a new direction for me.
    Everything looks good to me except the M1917 breeches have been cut off( or should i say tailored ).

The badge on the arm is causing me some trouble. It looks like the 6th corps badge shown on this website WWI United States Military Shoulder Patches / Sleeve Insignias with the Gold Braid Ring and Gold 6. but is missing the 6 and it doesn't look like it was ever there.
    My other thought was 1st Corps but with a gold ring instead of a white one. I read that the badge was not officially adopted until 1922 so maybe that is possible.

Can anybody else add anything or put me on the right path ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US AEF uniform   US AEF uniform  

US AEF uniform   US AEF uniform  

US AEF uniform   US AEF uniform  

US AEF uniform  
    Attached Images Attached Images US AEF uniform 

Nice uniform set. I expect the moths ate the breeches and that was why they were chopped.

Hi Roger

I believe this would refer to First Army (I) Corp.

Sixth Army (VI) Corp was authorized Jan 1919.

Officially Shoulder Patches were authorized by GHQ AEF Oct. 1918 to 1919.

1922 was the date that the Quartermaster Corp-Heraldic Section was created and organized Identify, develop and authorize all official insignia for the US Army.

Red chevron is for honorable discharge and the 2 bullion tape V chevrons are for 12 month over seas service (6 months per chevron).

Can you show a close up on the Collar Disks , one is HQ not sure of the other.

Phill

Thanks for your thoughts Blackcat 1982. You are probably right about the moths although they are in fair condition for their age. I did wonder if they were cut off for comfort for sitting at the desk but the cuts look far too recent.

Phil,
    Thanks for the information, I think you are right about the patch being First Army (I) Corp. The other collar badge is USNA which I think is United States National Army. I had worked out the Honourable Discharge stripe but not got around to the Overseas Service stripes.

No worries

From the pic the "O" looks like silver soutache braid on thin wool, which would of been normal construction for the time period.

US National Army would be correct which was the WWI term for draftees as opposed to Regular Army or the federalized National Guard of the time period.

Phill

Thanks again Phil,
    My only comment would be the 'O' looks to be more of a Gold colour.

Hi Roger

The official GHQ AEF colour is white on Blue for both Corp infact up to Eighth (VIII) Corp, the exception being Ninth (IX) Corp which was organized post Armistice and authorized SSI Dec. 1918.

Unofficially the doughboys, with approval from higher command, used different colour combinations to distinguish Branch of service,Brigade,Bn,specific unit within an organization,again these were not officially used by the army, so you will get patches with different color's including embellishing the patch to make it stand out on the return home.

Phill