Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Army 1912 Pattern Jacket

Article about: Hello all, I just got this as and another jacket as an early birthday gift and am really excited to finally get a US Army WW1 uniform (well part of one). Overall I'd say its in good conditio

Default US Army 1912 Pattern Jacket

Hello all, I just got this as and another jacket as an early birthday gift and am really excited to finally get a US Army WW1 uniform (well part of one). Overall I'd say its in good condition as every example I've come across is usually full of moth holes and falling apart, though there's a small tear on the collar and a tiny moth hole on the front bottom right pocket. The top button did fall off but I'm in possession of it and am planning to get it put back on by a tailor. The patches are in really nice shape too none of them are falling off or are moth eaten. I'd love to find pants that go with the jacket for a display but I'd imagine they're hard to find and expensive. From what I can tell the soldier was a mess sergeant that served in the 7th engineer regiment which was a part of the 5th division and was over seas for a year and a half. One thing I find weird is that the engineer collar disk is labeled 7B which is different from all the other engineer disks I've seen since they only have a number and no letter. I was wondering what does the "B" in 7B mean? If anyone has anymore info on it as I'm sure I've gotten something wrong with the insignia please let me know. Thank you for reading!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army 1912 Pattern Jacket   US Army 1912 Pattern Jacket  

US Army 1912 Pattern Jacket   US Army 1912 Pattern Jacket  

Last edited by Politefaun; 09-17-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Think 7B refers to B Company of the 7th, others will confirm or otherwise. Nice jacket.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Think 7B refers to B Company of the 7th, others will confirm or otherwise. Nice jacket.
    That's my guess as well since the only thing other thing I imagine it could stand for would be "battalion" but that just doesn't seem right.

Just wanted to post an update as I found some more info on the jacket and wanted to add a picture of the jacket with all the buttons sewed on. After doing some digging on the 7th engineers I found a really dated looking website which covers them in WW1 and it had a copy of the regiment roster for the 7th including company B. This allowed me to find the name and address of the Mess Sergeant that the jacket belonged to which is Christian A. Flaig from Philadelphia, Pa (if the website is correct). Furthermore the little "A" patch inside the 5th division diamond meant that he was put under the third army and served in the army of occupation in Belgium and Luxembourg.

Here's a link to the site for those interested: WW1

MAP
    ?

Awesome

I missed this first time around. Nice jacket and great research
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Glad you've been delving some more into the history of this jacket. Well done!

I thought I should update this post as I found some more information on Sargent Flaig, it turns out he received a citation for "conduct in action" for making sure his company was well fed while under machine gun and artillery fire this was recorded in the regiment history. Sadly it was reported in an army newspaper that he passed away shortly after returning home due to a disease he contracted in France, I'm guessing he caught "Spanish flu", but I'm not sure if at that point the press was allowed to talk about it. It appears he was well liked among the men he served with and I can't help but make a connection to the pandemic he went through to the one going on now 100 years later. There are a few documents from before WW1 with his name on them that I also found, but I couldn't read them due to a paywall other than that I think the story behind this uniform has been told.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army 1912 Pattern Jacket   US Army 1912 Pattern Jacket  

Default Christian Adam Flaig 1874-1920

Greetings,

Attached, is his Death Certificate. Appears he picked up a bacterial infection of the lining in his heart while overseas, which eventually proved fatal.

Best,

V/r Lance

Also found this article, where Flaig discusses the death of a Corporal Ford (also a member of B Co. 7th ENG). Based on Flaig's recollection (& the citation you shared) he saw some intense action for a Mess Sergeant.

Best,

V/r Lance

Double click on article to enlarge:

?

Great jacket!!
    and as always, AWESOME information Lance!!!!!

I'm glad this got a bump, as I missed it the first time around!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast