Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

US army adrian helmet?!

Article about: Hello everyone! What do you thinks of this one..... I know that in the early stages of the US army's involvement in WWI soldiers were supplied with French gear but this helmet has got me puz

Given the racial situation in 1917 it isn't really a surprise that black U.S. troops were issued the Adrian helmet, but it is an interesting point that the issue was not adddressed in any of the period literature dealing with the AEF. I had my doubts as to the accuracy of any claim that US troops wore the Adrian, but those doubts are gone now. I certainly enjoy seeing the photos, which trump any text as to historical evidence of a fact. This thread has been very productive and informmative, and thanks to Larry C for starting it. Dwight

very interesting thread, never come across this before.. Thanks for sharing

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Given the racial situation in 1917 it isn't really a surprise that black U.S. troops were issued the Adrian helmet, but it is an interesting point that the issue was not adddressed in any of the period literature dealing with the AEF. I had my doubts as to the accuracy of any claim that US troops wore the Adrian, but those doubts are gone now. I certainly enjoy seeing the photos, which trump any text as to historical evidence of a fact. This thread has been very productive and informmative, and thanks to Larry C for starting it. Dwight
    There is a lot of info on US military forum it is a forum all US stuff.
    There is a lot more interesting period pictures.
    chris

I think that the dadge looks like it has been crudely cut from sheet brass and I dont think that your average soldier would have been very keen to walk around the trenches/battlefield with such a large shiny badge on his head.

I like the helmet, personally. I'd like to see if there is any wear behind the badge. I think an in-hand inspection would be useful with this one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2