Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

US Army Patch ID

Article about: Picked this up at flee market over the weekend can't find any info on it . All I know is that it's wwi would like to hear your thoughts on it .also found this pin .

?

Default US Army Patch ID

Picked this up at flee market over the weekend can't find any info on it . All I know is that it's wwi would like to hear your thoughts on it .also found this pin .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army Patch ID  

?

Here are some better photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army Patch ID   US Army Patch ID  

?

Hello
    probably, US 1st Army, but which unit ????
    nice patch
    cordially
    Didier

Would be 1st army maybe US Army 81st Infantry Division ?

?

It is 1st Army, but the center device would represent a speciality, not a unit. No idea would that critter would mean.

?

The 81st infantry AEF was also known as Wildcat Division, soldiers were mostly drafted from around North Carolina where the wildcat was indigenous.....my best guess on the patch.

?

The 81st was attached to the 1st Army just before the Muse Argonne offensive and went into action on November 9th and was engaged in combat until November 11th.
    I believe it is an 81st also. But the cat looks more like a dog.

Hi guys

I mentioned to a very good friend of mine about a similar WWI First Army patch "whats a rat doing on a First Army patch?"

"The rat" was infact a bear .The bear represents a Californian unit ,attached to the First Army.

Now several questions arise:

"what unit?" more likely a unit attached to First Army Artillery pack , I think it is missing an embellishment ,the red and white insert in the lower A.

"But it looks more like a wildcat?"- WWI era wild cats had a steep hunched arch and long tail pointing up wards , this doesn't , has a stomach and 3 of the 4 legs (3rd leg not complete) also short tail and look at the face although it has long mouth/snout , this was probably individuals interpretation.

There is a a First Army artillery pack with same type of stylized Bear in Organization Insignia of the AEF by Delasandro and Knapp pg 42.

Also The Kellers US Army patches Army Groups , Armies and Corps has several patches pertaining to First Army Artillery pack with a more Bear appearance.

So I believe we could be looking at one of the units of the 65th FA Brigade (40th Div.) -143rd,144th ,145th FA , which were detached from the 40th Sep to Dec. 1918 , however i do stress its missing the red and white insert.

But as to which actual unit wore this patch not sure , like i mentioned its probably not finished?

Phill

Add Californian "Grizzly" Bear

Phill