Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

US DSC W/serial number.

Article about: Guy's this group is from a family member who was unable to provide any information about them. Would appreciate your opinion. Thanks, Hal

Hal
    ?

Default US DSC W/serial number.

Guy's this group is from a family member who was unable to provide any information about them. Would appreciate your opinion. Thanks, Hal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US DSC W/serial number.   US DSC W/serial number.  

Attached Images Attached Images US DSC W/serial number.  US DSC W/serial number.  US DSC W/serial number. 

Default Re: US DSC W/serial number.

I don't know if you realize it or not, but what you have is quite significant, even though the cross is in the rough condition. If I am seeing '3003', then that DSC should be a traceable number. I say should because within the range of identifiable DSC's (1-8000~approx~) there always seems to be a number run within these blocks that fall off of the radar. I can put you in contact with someone who has a listing of recipients.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Hal View Post
    Guy's this group is from a family member who was unable to provide any information about them. Would appreciate your opinion. Thanks, Hal

This is a WW1 period strike. If I am reading this right the number is 3003. That number is assigned to Sgt Harry Linden, H/308 Inf, Brooklyn, NY.

If the number is 3008 it unfortunately falls into those 6 numbered DSC's that were not issued during the war. The issued medals for whatever reason stopped at 3005 and resumed at 3011.

Terry

Hal
    ?

Hi Steven and Terry, I do not have the medal in hand but I believe the number is 3008. I appreciate your help and information. Thanks, Hal

Quote by Hal View Post
    Hi Steven and Terry, I do not have the medal in hand but I believe the number is 3008. I appreciate your help and information. Thanks, Hal
    Yes, it is indeed 3008. I blew it up to 400% magnification and could see it quite clearly. Your luck sounds like mine...it would have to be in that very small number range... Still, it is a nice piece.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Yes, still a nice piece, as Steven M says ! !
    And pretty rare just the same...........

Great find !

Regards,

Steve W.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Yes, still a nice piece, as Steven M says ! !
    And pretty rare just the same...........

Great find !

Regards,

Steve W.
    Any WW1 numbered DSC is extremely rare issued or not. I noticed one comment as to condition. I didn't think that it was in bad condition at all. A little wear to the chest of the eagle but no major flaws. All in all a really nice find and one worthy of any collection of US military medals.

Terry

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Any WW1 numbered DSC is extremely rare issued or not. I noticed one comment as to condition. I didn't think that it was in bad condition at all. A little wear to the chest of the eagle but no major flaws. All in all a really nice find and one worthy of any collection of US military medals.

Terry
    Quite right Major. Maybe "rough" was a little much in my description and was in reference to the ribbon being separated from the cross. However, I wouldn't turn it down, that is for sure.

BTW...am I correct in saying that the soldered ring is a characteristic of early pieces? I have notices this on another early one as well.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]