Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US M1917 5th Division Flashed Brodie

Article about: Despite me saying "No more helmets in 2016"....I have no broken that vow 4x's. So....Here is my first WW1 US helmet. An M1917 with a 5th Division Flash. Oilcloth is still soft. Chi

MAP
    ?

Default US M1917 5th Division Flashed Brodie

Despite me saying "No more helmets in 2016"....I have now broken that vow 4x's with still 3 months to go.

So....Here is my first WW1 US helmet. An M1917 with a 5th Division Flash.

Oilcloth is still soft. Chinstrap is broken but remaining parts are in good condition. No ink stampings on the Oilcloth liner but the leather band is marked "A" and "C" in pencil.

Helmet has the three holes for the face mask.

It is nice in that it is named, but I can not make out what the name is.

Shell is stamped ZB55. Does anyone know who the maker "B" was?

I'm new to WW1 helmets but have read that unit flashed helmets were generally done post war. It is obvious that this has received a coat of brown paint over the original paint. Any feedback/thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Here are the pics (a few are in direct sunlight). Double click for high resolution and expandable pictures!

What do you think?

Regards,

Michael

US M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed BrodieUS M1917 5th Division Flashed Brodie
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

You know more than me about helmets, buddy. I just know I like it.

?

The holes would be for the Wilmer Eye-Shield, nice helmet Michael.
    Regards,
    John

MAP
    ?

Quote by relicz View Post
    The holes would be for the Wilmer Eye-Shield, nice helmet Michael.
    Thanks John. Yes, you are correct. I have read that the holes are less common to find on a helmet but are not a 'value' enhancer

Any thoughts on the paint and flash?

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Looks legitimate from here Michael, curiously - I've seen a similar "brown" colored overpaint on both CEF and AEF helmets.
    Regards,
    John

MAP
    ?

Quote by relicz View Post
    Looks legitimate from here Michael, curiously - I've seen a similar "brown" colored overpaint on both CEF and US helmets.
    Thanks! Encouraging! Would be great if it was "in theater" paint job. But if not, no worries. Still a been there honest combat lid! Next I need to fiddle with my photo program to see if I can read the name.

That's a fantastic helmet. I have no doubts about its authenticity.

There are period photos of the 5th Division with painted helmets while they were stationed in Luxembourg shortly after the war.

It's always nice to see a painted Wilmer helmet from a division other than the 91st. Based on several I have seen with full unit IDs, it seems that most of the Wilmer helmets went to the division Trains.

They don't seem to command much of a premium, which is strange considering that only 35,000 were made.

MAP
    ?

Quote by aef1917 View Post
    That's a fantastic helmet. I have no doubts about its authenticity.

There are period photos of the 5th Division with painted helmets while they were stationed in Luxembourg shortly after the war.

It's always nice to see a painted Wilmer helmet from a division other than the 91st. Based on several I have seen with full unit IDs, it seems that most of the Wilmer helmets went to the division Trains.

They don't seem to command much of a premium, which is strange considering that only 35,000 were made.
    AEF,

Thanks for the excellent information. Greatly appreciated. As noted this is my first so I'm still learning the ropes.

Picked it up at the local show on Sat. Doors opened at 9:00 and it was in my hands by 9:01.

A few questions if you don't mind (I'm an information hog) as I get my feet wet.

1) can you point me to a place where I can see some these pictures?
    2) what do you mean by "division trains". A new term for me.

Thanks again for the information.

Michael

I can't find any of the photos online, but there are definitely some yardlongs taken in Luxembourg that show painted helmets.

The Trains were the logistical components of American divisions. There was typically an HQ Train, Sanitary Train, Ammunition Train and Engineer Train in each division. I think an analogous Commonwealth organization would be the Ammunition Column.

MAP
    ?

Got it . Thought that's was you meant. So basically most of these helmets went to rear echelon troops.

Nice then to have one to a front line soldier. Do really need to see if I can read the name on the underside of the shell.

Thanks again

M

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast